It’s safe to conclude that auto insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Drivers who get price quotes annually will, in all likelihood, switch to a new company because they stand a good chance of finding a policy with better rates. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that people who compared rates annually saved approximately $3,400 over four years compared to other drivers who never shopped around.
If finding the cheapest price on insurance in Honolulu is the reason for your visit, then learning about how to find companies and compare coverages can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
The most effective way to get affordable auto insurance rates is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers who can sell car insurance in Honolulu. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
- First, read about how insurance works and the things you can change to prevent rate increases. Many risk factors that cause high rates like high-risk driving behaviors and an imperfect credit history can be remedied by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article gives ideas to get cheaper rates and find missing discounts.
- Second, request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the new rates to your existing policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save some money, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new company. Once coverage is bound, keep your new proof of insurance paperwork in an easily accessible location.
A good piece of advice is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables a level playing field and a complete selection of prices.
Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Honolulu is really not that difficult. Practically anyone who compares rates for auto insurance will more than likely be able to reduce their rates. But Hawaii car owners must know the way insurance companies sell online because it can help you find the best coverage.
Just keep in mind that comparing all the rates in your area helps you find the best rates. Some regional insurers cannot provide online rate quotes, so it’s important to also get prices from the smaller companies as well.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Hawaii. If several companies are displayed, it’s a good idea that you get prices from several of them to get the cheapest price.
Cheaper rates on Ford Freestar insurance in Honolulu with these insurance discounts
Companies don’t always list every discount they offer in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched both well-publicized as well as the least known credits that may apply to you.
- Home Ownership Discount – Being a homeowner can help you save on insurance because it requires personal responsibility.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Participating in a course teaching defensive driver skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount and make you a better driver.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once rather than spreading payments over time you could save 5% or more.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle with the same company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Drivers Ed for Students – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers successfully take a driver’s education course in high school.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Honolulu and do not have a car could get you a discount.
- Clubs and Organizations – Joining a professional or civic organization could earn you a nice discount on insurance.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and will qualify for a discount on a Honolulu car insurance quote.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it’s just not the way it works.
Larger insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- State Farm offers discounts including defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, anti-theft, accident-free, passive restraint, and good student.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including membership and employees, air bags, multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, seat belt use, and emergency military deployment.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for safe driver, teen safe driver, anti-lock brakes, homeowner, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for early shopping, good student, multi-car, electronic funds transfer, and pay in full.
- AAA offers premium reductions for multi-car, good student, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, education and occupation, pay-in-full, and multi-policy.
- USAA discounts include family discount, loyalty savings, military installation, driver training, defensive driver, new vehicle, and safe driver.
If you are trying to find affordable Honolulu car insurance quotes, ask every insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered in your area. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers with the best discounts in Hawaii, click this link.
Local Honolulu insurance agents and car insurance
Many people just want to sit down and talk to an agent and we recommend doing that One of the benefits of comparing car insurance online is you can get better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that provide free Honolulu car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. You never need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. You can find lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific car insurance provider, you would need to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding the right provider should depend on more than just the premium amount. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Honolulu?
When finding a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are two different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance policy providers can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents can usually just insure with one company like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. These agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price. Some people will only choose to use a exclusive agent mainly due to the prominence of the brand rather than having low rates.
Below are exclusive insurance agencies in Honolulu that can give you price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Rory Lee
575 Cooke St d – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 596-8333 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance Hawaii
Six Waterfront Plaza 3rd Floor, 500 Ala Moana Blvd – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 533-2444 – View Map
- Dee Ann Lee – State Farm Insurance Agent
600 Kapiolani Blvd #210 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 599-7666 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent agents do not sell for just one brand and that enables them to quote your coverage with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies which makes it simple for you.
When searching for an agent, you should always compare prices from multiple independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with smaller regional carriers which can save you money.
Below are independent insurance agencies in Honolulu who can help you get price quote information.
- Royal State National Insurance Company
819 S Beretania St – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 539-1600 – View Map
- Anita Butay Diniega
1088 Bishop St #2210 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 841-5915 – View Map
- Cornerstones Financial and Insurance Agency
250 Ward Ave #220 – Honolulu, HI 96814 – (808) 626-5068 – View Map
Upon receiving good responses to all your questions and an acceptable price quote, most likely you have located an insurance agency that is reliable enough to insure your vehicles. Just be aware that you can cancel a policy whenever you choose to so don’t feel you’re contractually obligated to a specific agent for any length of time.
Why You Might Pay Increased Rates in Honolulu
Part of the car insurance buying process is learning some of the things that play a part in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that may result in cheaper rates. Lots of things are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but other criteria are less apparent such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
Prevent theft and save – Selecting a car model with an alarm system can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack can help prevent car theft.
Females tend to be lower risk – The statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Men and women are in accidents in similar numbers, but men get into accidents with more damage. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more major tickets like driving under the influence (DUI).
Small claims can cost you – If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Companies in Hawaii give discounts to drivers who do not file claims often. Auto insurance is designed for larger claims.
Policy add-ons may not be needed – There are a ton of extra add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you aren’t diligent. Add-on coverages like coverage for rental cars, better glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships could be just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when discussing your needs, but if you’ve never needed them in the past consider taking them off your policy.
Insurance is not optional but you don’t have to overpay
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Honolulu, insurance is mandatory in Hawaii but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it’s guaranteed your bank will stipulate that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Ford for a lot more money and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your Ford and your personal assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays more than $800 each year so compare quotes from several companies once a year at a minimum to save money.
Affordable insurance rates are possible
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, delays in paying claims, denial of a claim or even policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason, switching insurance companies can be easier than you think.
When shopping online for insurance, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are too many instances where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that the savings was not a smart move. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
Throughout this article, we presented many ideas to compare Ford Freestar insurance car insurance rates in Honolulu. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest priced insurance comes from a lesser-known regional company.
Additional detailed information can be found at these sites:
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- How Much are Honolulu Car Insurance Rates for Nurses? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Active Military in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25 in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Auto Insurance Rates for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)