Unimaginable but true, the vast majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for at least the last four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. Many drivers in Hawaii could cut their rates by up to $360 a year by just shopping around, but they just don't understand the large savings they would see if they replace their high priced policy.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get budget auto insurance rates is to annually compare prices from different companies that insure vehicles in Honolulu.
- It will benefit you to learn about car insurance and the factors you can control to drop your rates. Many things that increase rates such as accidents, traffic violations, and a low credit score can be rectified by paying attention to minor details.
- Compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates from many different companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available in Honolulu. If you can save some money and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company of your intent to cancel the current policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new insurer. Once coverage is bound, keep the new proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location.
One piece of advice is to compare identical deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get rates from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Smart Choices Result in Lower Insurance Rates
Many factors are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable like an MVR report, although some other factors are less apparent like your vehicle usage or how financially stable you are. A large part of saving on insurance is knowing the rating factors that aid in calculating the rates you pay for insurance. If you have some idea of what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that could help you find better insurance rates.
- Policy lapses raise rates - Not having insurance is not a good idea and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance expire. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could earn you a license revocation or jail time. You could then be forced to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Hawaii motor vehicle department.
Is insurance cheaper for men or women? - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, this does not mean females are better at driving than males. Females and males are responsible for accidents in similar percentages, but guys get into accidents with more damage. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Ford Fusion annual premium costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no other discounts are factored in.
Insurance prices and vehicle performance - The type of car, truck or SUV you own makes a significant difference in your premium level. Low performance passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
The data below is based on a married female driver age 40, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The chart compares Ford Fusion car insurance rates compared to other vehicles that have a range of performance risks.
- Lower rates for safer cars - Vehicles with good safety scores are cheaper to insure. Highly rated vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and lower rates of occupant injuries means less claims paid and thus lower rates. If your Ford Fusion scored better than an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you are probably receiving a discount.
Ford Fusion insurance loss statistics - Auto insurance companies analyze the history of losses to calculate a rate that will offset losses. Models that historically have higher claim amounts or frequency will have increased rates.
The data below shows the loss history for Ford Fusion vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as an average, is equal to 100. Numbers that are below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while numbers shown that are more than 100 point to more losses or statistically larger losses.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Ford Fusion Vehicles Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford Fusion 2WD 110 95 108 116 111 105 Ford Fusion 4WD 115 85 120 88 77 71 Ford Fusion Hybrid 125 97 98 92 93 95 Ford Fusion Plug-in Hybrid 128 87 91 88 91 107BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
The following companies provide price quotes in Honolulu, HI. If multiple companies are shown, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
Ford Fusion insurance statistics and information
The price information shown below covers a range of policy rates for Ford Fusion models. Having knowledge of how auto insurance policy rates are established is important for you to make smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$152||$256||$272||$16||$82||$778||$65|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$170||$302||$272||$16||$82||$842||$70|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$170||$346||$340||$20||$102||$978||$82|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$170||$302||$272||$16||$82||$842||$70|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$170||$302||$272||$16||$82||$842||$70|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$190||$346||$272||$16||$82||$906||$76|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$190||$346||$272||$16||$82||$906||$76|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, and claim-free. Rate information does not factor in your specific Honolulu location which can modify rates noticeably.
Safe drivers Honolulu pay cheaper rates
The example below demonstrates how traffic citations and accident claims can increase Ford Fusion yearly insurance costs for different age groups. The data assumes a single male driver, full coverage, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Full coverage versus liability-only in Honolulu
The information below shows the comparison of Ford Fusion car insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage. The data assumes no claims or driving citations, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop paying for full coverage
There is no definitive rule to eliminate comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Ford Fusion settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying more than $600 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some conditions where buying only liability insurance is not advised. If you haven't paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Insurance is not optional in Hawaii
Even though Honolulu Fusion insurance rates can get expensive, buying insurance is mandatory in Hawaii but it also protects more than you think.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Fusion, most lenders will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Ford at a more expensive rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your car and your personal assets. It will also cover medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your Ford gets damaged, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially if you ever need it. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays more than $800 each year so it's important to compare rates once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Score discounts on Honolulu car insurance
Some companies don't always publicize every possible discount in a way that's easy to find, so we took the time to find both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts that may be available.
- Paperwork-free - Some of the larger companies will give a small break just for signing your application on the web.
- Discount for Good Grades - Performing well in school could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Braking Control Discount - Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Driver's Education for Students - It's a good idea to have your young drivers enroll and complete driver's education in high school.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured - Buying a policy with several vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% than less cautious drivers.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the personal injury premium cost.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think you could get a free car insurance policy, companies don't profit that way.
The information below shows the comparison of Ford Fusion insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the rates. The prices are based on a male driver, no claims, a clean driving record, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, marriage, multi-car, and claim-free discounts applied.
Some companies that have these money-saving discounts include:
When getting free Honolulu auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Discounts might not be available to policyholders in Honolulu.
Local insurance agents
Many people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! Most agents can help you build your policy and help in the event of a claim. The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is you may find better rates and still have a local agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is important particularly in Honolulu.
By using this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to companies in Honolulu who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't even need to contact an agency due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. If you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you can always jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Picking an insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. Get answers to these questions too.
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Honolulu?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- Which family members are covered?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
When do I need an agent's advice?
Always remember that when buying a policy for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Your situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For instance, these questions might point out if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
In this article, we covered many ways to compare Ford Fusion insurance car insurance rates in Honolulu. It's most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the lowest car insurance rates are with a small mutual company. Regional companies can often provide lower premium rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
As you prepare to switch companies, it's very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced collision coverage only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at the best cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Additional detailed information can be found in these articles:
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Car Insurance Quotes for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Government Employees in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)