Everyone knows that insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. People who shop around for the cheapest rate will, in all likelihood, switch auto insurance companies because they have a good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A study showed that people who make a habit of shopping around saved about $70 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped around.
If finding low prices for car insurance in Honolulu is your objective, learning how to get rate quotes and compare insurance rates can make the process more efficient.
Really, the only way to get the cheapest car insurance rates in Honolulu is to compare prices annually from companies who provide car insurance in Hawaii. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Read about how companies set rates and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many rating factors that drive up the price like multiple speeding tickets and a less-than-favorable credit history can be eliminated by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Keep reading for the details to help reduce premium rates and earn a bigger discount.
- Step 2: Compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy premium to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Step 4: Notify your current company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit the application along with any required down payment to the new company. As soon as you can, place the new proof of insurance paperwork in your glove compartment.
The most important part of this process is that you use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rates from all possible companies. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Cheapest Infiniti insurance prices in Honolulu
The following companies offer price quotes in Hawaii. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Car insurance discounts help lower rates for Infiniti FX45 insurance in Honolulu
Car insurance is not cheap, but there could be significant discounts that you may not know about. Most are applied at the time you complete a quote, but less common discounts must be specifically requested before being credited.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Honolulu drivers who agree to allow their company to spy on vehicle usage remotely like Allstate’s Drivewise might get better premium rates if they have good driving habits.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could save 15% off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you have multiple policies and insure them with the same company you may earn as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not necessarily a discount, but some insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident without getting socked with a rate hike if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Club Memberships – Being in certain professional organizations could earn you a nice discount when getting a Honolulu car insurance quote.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A list of car insurance companies and some of the discounts include:
- AAA may include discounts for education and occupation, multi-car, AAA membership discount, good student, good driver, and anti-theft.
- Progressive has savings for online signing, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, and good student.
- State Farm discounts include anti-theft, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, passive restraint, and good student.
- Esurance offers premium reductions for online quote, defensive driver, emergency road assistance, Pac-12 alumni, and renters.
- Nationwide has discounts for family plan, easy pay, defensive driving, business or organization, multi-policy, accident-free, and anti-theft.
Before you buy a policy, ask each insurance company how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be offered in every state. To locate companies with the best Infiniti FX45 insurance discounts in Hawaii, click here.
Save Money with These Tips
Lots of things are used when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are. A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the rating factors that are used to determine your auto insurance rates. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that may result in lower rates.
- Costs are impacted by vehicle performance – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you need insurance for makes a huge difference in your auto insurance rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Optional features can affect prices – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you some money. Systems that thwart thieves such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all help prevent auto theft.
- How old are your drivers? – Older insureds tend to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and receive fewer citations. Drivers with little experience are known to be easily distracted when driving with friends therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Low stress job equals lower rates – Do you work in a high-stress field? Jobs like judges, executives, and dentists tend to pay the highest rates due to intense work-related stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations such as farmers, athletes and the unemployed pay lower than average rates.
When should I contact an insurance agent?
A lot of people just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain lower rates but also keep your business local.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to visit any agencies because prices are sent to your email. You can find lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you have a need to get a price quote from one company in particular, you can always navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Choosing an insurance company should include more criteria than just the premium amount. Get answers to these questions too.
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Which family members are covered?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- How many companies do they write for?
The difference between Honolulu car insurance agents
When researching a reputable insurance agent or broker, it helps to know the two different agency structures from which to choose. Agents in Honolulu are considered either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. These agents are well schooled on sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers often buy insurance from these agents primarily because of the prominence of the brand and solid financial strength.
Below are Honolulu exclusive insurance agencies who may provide you with rate quotes.
- Herb Fujikawa – State Farm Insurance Agent
3538 Waialae Ave #205 – Honolulu, HI 96816 – (808) 732-1076 – View Map
- Sean Huh – State Farm Insurance Agent
23 S Vineyard Blvd #205 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 528-0001 – View Map
- Cindy Perkins – State Farm Insurance Agent
1313 S Beretania St #100 – Honolulu, HI 96814 – (808) 593-8221 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents do not have single company limitations so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company and you stay with the same agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, you will definitely want to contact independent agents to have the most options to choose from. Most also write with smaller mutual companies which could offer lower prices.
Below is a list of independent agencies in Honolulu willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Rosten Y Tsuha Insurance Agency Inc
1350 S King St #303 – Honolulu, HI 96814 – (808) 591-5545 – View Map
- Anita Butay Diniega
1088 Bishop St #2210 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 841-5915 – View Map
- John H Connors Insurance
500 Ala Moana Blvd # 2303 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 534-7300 – View Map
Hawaii car insurance companies ranked
Choosing the right insurer can be rather challenging considering how many companies provide coverage in Hawaii. The ranking data displayed below may help you decide which auto insurers you want to consider comparing price quotes from.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- AAA Insurance – A
- Liberty Mutual – A
Car insurance savings summarized
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost.
People switch companies for a number of reasons such as delays in responding to claim requests, policy cancellation, high rates after DUI convictions and even extreme rates for teen drivers. Whatever your reason, finding a new car insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Cheaper car insurance in Honolulu can be bought both online and from local agencies, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies may not have rates over the internet and many times these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Who Has Affordable Honolulu Car Insurance Quotes for Felons? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota 4Runner in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)