A recent study showed that almost 70% of drivers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and just short of a majority have never compared rates from other carriers. Hawaii insurance shoppers could save themselves $360 a year, but most undervalue how much they could save if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
Really, the only way to save on auto insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurers in Honolulu.
First, read and learn about the different coverages in a policy and the things you can control to lower rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices such as inattentive driving and a lousy credit rating can be remedied by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Second, compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the new rates to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, tell your current agent or company of your intent to cancel your existing policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to your new agent or company. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the proof of insurance paperwork along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One thing to remember is that you’ll want to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every price quote and and to get prices from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
These techniques will familiarize you with the best way to buy inexpensive insurance and also pocket some savings If you are insured now, you will surely be able to get lower rates using this strategy. You just need to use the most effective way to compare different rates over the internet.
Reducing your insurance rates is surprisingly easy. The only thing you need to do is spend a few minutes comparing rate quotes from different insurance companies.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Honolulu, HI. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Affordable rates by receiving discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you may be missing some discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning a home in Honolulu can get you a discount because it is proof of financial responsibility.
- Data Collection Discounts – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to study their driving habits remotely such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system may get a rate reduction if their driving habits are good.
- Good Student – Maintaining excellent grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying coverage on a new vehicle may earn a small discount since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Student in College – Any of your kids who live away from home at college and do not take a car to college may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Mature Driver Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can get lower premium rates.
One thing to note about discounts is that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
The illustration below compares Volkswagen Beetle auto insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the premium. The data is based on a female driver, no claims or violations, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-policy, multi-car, homeowner, marriage, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Some of the insurance companies that have these discounts include:
Double check with every prospective company which discounts can lower your rates. Some credits might not be offered on policies in Honolulu. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies that offer the discounts shown above in Hawaii, click here.
The coverage table below covers a range of insurance rates for Volkswagen Beetle models. Being aware of how insurance quotes are determined can assist in making informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Beetle S 2-Dr Hatchback||$204||$344||$294||$18||$88||$948||$79|
|Beetle 2-Dr Convertible||$264||$406||$228||$14||$68||$980||$82|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in vehicle location which can increase or decrease premiums significantly.
Male drivers versus female drivers
The information below visualizes the comparison of Volkswagen Beetle insurance costs for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no accidents, no driving violations, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only in Honolulu
The example below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Beetle yearly insurance costs with full coverage and liability only. The costs are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no definitive rule to delete physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Volkswagen Beetle replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $2,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it’s costing you more than $200 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some situations where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Car insurance agents can find coverage gaps
Many drivers would prefer to go talk to an agent and often times that is recommended Most agents can help you build your policy and give you someone to call. A good thing about price shopping on the web is that you can obtain the best rates but also keep your business local. Supporting small agencies is important especially in Honolulu.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your information is emailed to insurance agents in Honolulu who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to leave your house since price quotes are sent immediately to you. If you wish to compare prices from one company in particular, just navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Car insurance agents in Honolulu come in two varieties
If you want to buy auto insurance from local Honolulu agents, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Honolulu agents can be classified as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either can provide auto insurance policies, but it’s important to point out how they are different since it can impact buying decisions.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business amongst many companies and find you cheaper rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they can switch companies in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing rate quotes, it’s recommended you include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Many write coverage with smaller companies which may have better rates.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in Honolulu that may be able to give price quote information.
- Atlas Insurance
1132 Bishop St #1600 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 533-8728 – View Map
- Cavanah Associates, Inc.
1100 Alakea St #2600 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 537-1970 – View Map
- Insurance Associates, Inc.
800 Bethel St # 200 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 538-6938 – View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only quote rates from one company and examples are Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents receive extensive training in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage. Many people buy insurance from these agents primarily because of the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Honolulu that can give you rate quotes.
- Kevin Takahashi – State Farm Insurance Agent
1284 Kalani St d108 – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 845-0069 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Dan Y.W. Au Hoy
931 University Ave Ste 108 – Honolulu, HI 96826 – (808) 944-1854 – View Map
- Gary Nakamura – State Farm Insurance Agent
1016 Kapahulu Ave #250 – Honolulu, HI 96816 – (808) 734-3265 – View Map
Picking an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Honolulu?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Costs
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of a few of the rating criteria that are used to determine your auto insurance rates. When you understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with big savings. Many factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, although others are more transparent like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is.
- Incidental coverages that may not be needed – There are many extra add-on coverages that can waste your money on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for things like personal injury protection, better glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage may be costing you every month. They may seem like a good idea when buying your policy, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
High performance vehicles cost more to insure – The type of vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in how high your rates are. The lowest base rates are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
The data below is based on a single male driver age 40, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The data compares Volkswagen Beetle insurance rates compared to other vehicles that have a range of performance risks.
- Tough job may mean higher premiums – Occupations like lawyers, architects, and accountants tend to pay the highest average rates in part from intense work situations and long work days. Other careers like scientists, historians and retirees pay the least.
- An active auto insurance claims history can cost more – Auto insurance companies in Hawaii award cheaper rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file a lot of claims you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
Careless drivers pay higher rates – Drivers with clean records pay less for auto insurance as compared to those with violations. Only having one speeding ticket can increase rates twenty percent or more. Drivers unfortunate enough to have dangerous tickets like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
The illustration below shows how traffic citations and accident claims can influence Volkswagen Beetle insurance costs for each different age category. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Insurance losses for a Volkswagen Beetle – Companies factor in historical loss data when they calculate premium prices for each model. Vehicles that are shown to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table below shows the loss history for Volkswagen Beetle vehicles. For each type of coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is set at 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Volkswagen Beetle Insurance Claim Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volkswagen Beetle 101 93 101 85 95 101 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible 85 78 95 76 89 79BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Auto insurance is not optional
Despite the potentially high cost of Volkswagen Beetle insurance, buying auto insurance is required by state law in Hawaii and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Volkswagen Beetle with a loan, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Volkswagen for a much higher rate and require you to pay the higher premium.
- Auto insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. But the average driver in Hawaii is currently overpaying as much as $750 every year so compare rate quotes every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Honolulu auto insurance company ratings
Buying coverage from a good quality auto insurance provider is difficult considering how many companies provide coverage in Honolulu. The information in the next section may help you decide which insurers you want to consider comparing price quotes from.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
More effort can pay off
We covered a lot of ways to find affordable Volkswagen Beetle insurance in Honolulu. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable Honolulu car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest auto insurance rates come from some of the lesser-known companies.
Drivers switch companies for any number of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, policy non-renewal, extreme rates for teen drivers or unfair underwriting practices. Whatever your reason, switching car insurance companies can be pretty painless.
Lower-priced Volkswagen Beetle insurance in Honolulu is available both online and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Corolla in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for College Graduates in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Auto Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for 4×4 Vehicles in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)