It’s astonishing, but most Hawaii auto insurance customers kept buying from the same company for a minimum of four years, and almost half have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. Consumers in the U.S. can save hundreds of dollars each year by just shopping around, but they just feel it’s too hard to compare other rate quotes.
To save the most money, the best way to find affordable auto insurance rates is to do a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers who sell auto insurance in Honolulu.
- Get an understanding of how insurance companies determine prices and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates such as traffic citations and poor credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Later in this article we will cover the details to help reduce prices and earn a bigger discount.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates from many different companies. View a list of agents
- Compare the new rates to your current policy and determine if cheaper ATS coverage is available in Honolulu. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
A good tip to remember is to use similar coverage information on each price quote and and to get rate quotes from every company you can. Doing this enables a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Honolulu, HI. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you compare several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Discounts for affordable insurance rates
Some insurance providers don’t list their entire list of discounts very clearly, so the below list has both the well known as well as some of the hidden credits that may apply to you.
- New Car Discount – Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% because newer vehicles keep occupants safer.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control can stop better under adverse conditions and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Driver Safety – Passing a driver safety course may get you a small discount if you qualify.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Honolulu Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can save a few bucks because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having more than one vehicle on a single policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Low Mileage – Low annual miles could qualify for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
A few of the larger companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are detailed below.
- American Family offers discounts including mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, air bags, TimeAway discount, and bundled insurance.
- State Farm has discounts for driver’s education, anti-theft, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, good student, and Drive Safe & Save.
- 21st Century may have discounts that include good student, teen driver, student driver, anti-lock brakes, and early bird.
- Travelers discounts include payment discounts, continuous insurance, hybrid/electric vehicle, student away at school, IntelliDrive, save driver, and multi-car.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for military active duty, emergency military deployment, membership and employees, federal employee, multi-policy, driver training, and anti-theft.
When comparing rates, check with every company which discounts they offer. Savings might not be offered on policies everywhere. To locate insurers offering insurance discounts in Honolulu, click here.
Insurance is available from agents near you
Many drivers just want to talk to a local agent and that is not a bad decision Experienced insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and help you file claims. A good thing about comparing rates online is that you can obtain better rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is especially important in Honolulu.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Honolulu that can provide free Honolulu auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you need to compare prices from a particular provider, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Below are agents in Honolulu that may be willing to give price quotes for Cadillac ATS insurance in Honolulu.
- First Insurance Co of Hawaii Limited
1100 Ward Ave # Main, Honolulu, HI 96814, Honolulu, 96818 – Honolulu, HI 96818 – (808) 527-7777 – View Map
- Allstate: Honolulu Insurance Specialists
1370 N King St – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 845-9026 – View Map
- Pyramid Insurance Center Ltd
420 Waiakamilo Rd – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 527-7667 – View Map
- U’ilani Hawelu – State Farm Insurance Agent
1960 Kapiolani Blvd Ste 208 – Honolulu, HI 96826 – (808) 955-9090 – View Map
Finding the right company is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- What discounts might you be missing?
Smart Consumers Can Lower Insurance Rates
Lots of things are taken into consideration when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable like an MVR report, but others are more obscure such as your credit history or your commute time.
The list below includes most of the major factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set rates.
Credit history impact insurance costs – Having a good credit score can be an important factor in determining your rates. Insureds with high credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with poor credit scores. Therefore, if your credit is not that good, you could pay less to insure your Cadillac ATS by improving your rating.
Your employer can affect rates – Careers such as fire fighters, airline pilots, and miners have the highest rates because of job stress and incredibly demanding work hours. Other occupations such as scientists, engineers and retirees have lower than average premiums.
Fast cars cost more to insure – The make and model of the car, truck or SUV you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in your car insurance bill. The best insurance prices are generally reserved for economy passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
File insurance claims and pay more – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Insurance companies in Hawaii generally give most affordable rates to insureds who only file infrequent claims. Insurance coverage is intended for more catastrophic claims.
Being married is a bonus – Walking down the aisle can actually save you money when shopping for insurance. It is viewed as being more mature it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Use one insurance company and save – Most major insurance companies will award lower prices to customers who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
Low comp and collision deductibles can be expensive – Physical damage coverage, aka comp and collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, hail damage, or theft. The deductibles you choose tell how much you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Insurance loss statistics a Cadillac ATS – Insurance companies use statistical claims data to calculate a price that will offset any claims. Models that the data shows to have a trend towards higher claims will have a higher cost to insure.
The data below shows the collected loss data for Cadillac ATS vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles compiled together is set at 100. Numbers that are below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while values that are above 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Cadillac ATS 4dr 2WD||121||97||103||107||96||90|
|Cadillac ATS 4dr 4WD||127||81||91||92||93||74|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Why you need insurance for your ATS
Despite the potentially high cost of Cadillac ATS insurance, buying car insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability in order to be legal. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Cadillac ATS has a lienholder, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Cadillac for a much higher rate and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects both your car and your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in Hawaii is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every renewal to save money.
Ratings for Hawaii auto insurance companies
Choosing the best company can be rather challenging considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Hawaii. The company information shown next may help you pick which providers to look at when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- State Farm – 90%
- Nationwide – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- Liberty Mutual – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
- Esurance – 87%
- Progressive – 87%
How much can you save?
Drivers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including poor customer service, high rates after DUI convictions, questionable increases in premium and unfair underwriting practices. Whatever your reason, finding a new auto insurance company is actually quite simple.
Cheap Cadillac ATS insurance in Honolulu is possible from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some auto insurance companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Ford Escape in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Honolulu Auto Insurance Rates for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Car Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)