Amazingly, about 70% of customers have been with the same company for four years or more, and almost 40% of drivers have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. With the average premium in Hawaii being $960, drivers could pocket approximately $400 a year by just comparing quotes, but they just don’t understand how easy it is to save money by comparing rate quotes.
The best way we recommend to get the cheapest auto insurance rates is to regularly compare quotes from insurers in Honolulu.
- Step 1: Get an understanding of coverages and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that result in higher rates such as traffic citations and a negative credit history can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. This article provides instructions to prevent expensive rate increases and find additional discounts.
- Step 2: Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can give you price quotes for many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your current policy premium and see if you can save money. If you can save money and change companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company of your intention to cancel your existing policy and submit payment and a completed application to the new company. When you receive it, store the certificate verifying coverage along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One tip to remember is to try to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as you can. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap prices in Hawaii
The following companies offer price quotes in Honolulu, HI. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
Dodge Grand Caravan insurance statistics and information
The information shown next outlines detailed analysis of insurance premium costs for Dodge Grand Caravan models. Learning how insurance quotes are established is important for you to make smart choices when buying a car insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Grand Caravan CV||$160||$240||$254||$16||$76||$746||$62|
|Grand Caravan SE||$160||$240||$254||$16||$76||$746||$62|
|Grand Caravan Hero||$160||$292||$254||$16||$76||$798||$67|
|Grand Caravan Crew||$180||$292||$254||$16||$76||$818||$68|
|Grand Caravan SXT||$180||$292||$254||$16||$76||$818||$68|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Rate quotes do not factor in specific location which can alter auto insurance rates significantly.
Insurance rate increases from tickets or accidents
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and accident claims can drive up Dodge Grand Caravan auto insurance costs for each different age category. The data is based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The information below illustrates the difference between Dodge Grand Caravan yearly insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The premiums assume no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There isn’t a written rule of when to phase out full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of full coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Dodge Grand Caravan replacement cost is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $3,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying over $300 annually for physical damage coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are a few situations where buying only liability insurance is not a good plan. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not buy liability only.
Take policy discounts and save on Dodge Grand Caravan insurance in Honolulu
Car insurance companies do not advertise every discount very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Full Payment Discount – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying in monthly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Own a Home – Just being a homeowner can save you money because of the fact that having a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers participate in a local driver’s education class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Good Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being deployed with a military unit may lower your rates slightly.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Buying a new car instead of a used Grand Caravan can get you a discount since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but companies like Liberty Mutual and GEICO will forgive one accident without getting socked with a rate hike if you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Insuring primary and secondary vehicles with the same car insurance company could earn a price break for each car.
- College Student Discount – Kids living away from Honolulu attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Despite the appearance that adding up those discounts means a free policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The information below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Grand Caravan yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The premiums assume a male driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, marriage, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Car insurance companies that may have these discounts are:
- Mercury Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
When getting free Honolulu auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to each company which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts might not be available to policyholders everywhere. To find insurers who offer car insurance discounts in Hawaii, follow this link.
Dodge Grand Caravan Insurance Premium Factors
Many factors are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, although some other factors are more transparent such as whether you are married or your commute time. An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the factors that go into determining the price you pay for insurance. If you understand what determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower rates.
The factors shown below are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate your rates.
Insurance rates and vehicle performance – The performance of the vehicle you need to insure makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. Smaller low performance passenger cars usually have the lowest premiums, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
The following data uses these assumptions: married male driver age 30, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The chart compares Dodge Grand Caravan insurance premiums compared to other makes and models that have a range of performance risks.
- How much liability coverage – The liability coverage on your policy will afford coverage when you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Cheaper prices for prior coverage – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a guaranteed way to increase your insurance rates. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage might get you a steep fine or even jail time.
- High claims frequency drives up rates – Insurance companies in Hawaii award lower rates to insureds who are not frequent claim filers. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Auto insurance is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Long commutes cost more – The higher the mileage driven every year the more you will pay for insurance. Many insurance companies calculate prices partially by how you use the vehicle. Vehicles that sit idle most of the time can get a lower rate than vehicles that are driven to work every day. An improperly rated Grand Caravan can cost quite a bit. Ask your agent if your declarations sheet properly reflects the right rating data, because it can save money.
- Discounts for married couples – Walking down the aisle can actually save you money when buying insurance. Having a spouse generally demonstrates drivers are more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- High deductibles cost less – Protection for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. A few examples of covered claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage caused by hail, and having your car stolen. Comp and collision deductibles are how much the insured will be required to pay in the event of a claim. The higher the amount you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less your insurance will be.
- Rural areas have lower rates – Choosing to live in less populated areas of the country can save you money if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people corresponds to lower accident rates and lower theft and vandalism rates. People in densely populated areas have to deal with more aggressive driving styles and more severe claims. More time on the road statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
Insurance loss statistics a Dodge Grand Caravan – Insurers use statistical claims data when setting premium costs. Vehicles that the statistics show to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will cost more for specific coverages.
The information below illustrates the loss history for Dodge Grand Caravan vehicles. For each coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles compiled together is equal to 100. Percentage values below 100 represent a good loss history, while percentages above 100 point to more claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Dodge Grand Caravan Insurance Claim Statistics Specific Dodge Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Dodge Grand Caravan 79 104 81 108 108 107BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Will just any policy work for me?
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there is no best way to insure your cars. Every insured’s situation is different.
For instance, these questions might help in determining whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Are my friends covered when driving my Dodge Grand Caravan?
- Do I pay less for low miles?
- Is water damage covered by my policy?
- Am I covered if I hit my neighbor’s mailbox?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
You may want advice from an agent
Some consumers would prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is recommended in a lot of cases An additional benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you may find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. And buying from local agents is definitely important in Honolulu.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your information is immediately sent to participating agents in Honolulu who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent to your email. You’ll get the best rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you wish to get a rate quote from a specific insurance provider, you can always navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
If you would like to find a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they work. Agents can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, your agent can just switch to a different company which makes it simple for you. If you need lower rates, you need to include price quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Shown below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Honolulu that may be able to give pricing information.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive write business for a single company like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are well trained on what they offer which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Honolulu that are able to give rate quotes.
Choosing the best auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Honolulu?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Will they give you a referral list?
Be persistent and save
When searching for affordable Honolulu auto insurance quotes, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost, not the least amount of coverage.
People who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, denial of a claim, delays in responding to claim requests or high prices. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching auto insurance companies can be easier than you think.
More affordable auto insurance in Honolulu can be sourced online and with local Honolulu insurance agents, so get free Honolulu auto insurance quotes from both of them to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agencies.
For more information, take a look at the articles below:
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Honolulu Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Honda Pilot in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)