Locating low-cost insurance for a new or used Volkswagen Passat in Hawaii can be a lot of work, but you can learn these tips to make it easier. There are both good and bad ways to buy car insurance so you’re going to learn the absolute fastest way to compare rates for a Volkswagen and locate the cheapest rates either online or from Honolulu insurance agents.
It’s a fact that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Insureds who get comparison quotes once a year are inclined to buy a different policy because there is a high probability of finding a policy with better rates. A recent car insurance study revealed that drivers who compared rates annually saved about $865 annually as compared to drivers who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding the cheapest price for Volkswagen Passat insurance is the reason you’re reading this, then having some insight into the best way to compare insurance rates can save money and time.
Locating the best insurance company for you in Honolulu seems hard but is not really that difficult. If you already have coverage or just want a better rate, take advantage of these tips to reduce premiums without reducing protection. Shoppers only need to know the fastest way to shop on the web.
All the larger insurance companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive provide price estimates directly from their websites. Doing online quotes for Volkswagen Passat insurance in Honolulu is pretty painless as you just enter your personal and coverage information on the page. When complete, their system automatically orders your driving and credit reports and provides a quote.
Quoting online for Volkswagen Passat insurance in Honolulu simplifies rate comparisons, and it’s necessary to perform this step in order to find cheap rates.
If you want to use this form to compare rates, check out the insurance providers below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you duplicate your coverages identical to your current policy. This ensures you will have a rate comparison using the exact same coverages.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Honolulu, HI. If several companies are displayed, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Here’s why car insurance is not optional
Even though Honolulu Passat insurance rates can get expensive, car insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability insurance in order to be legal. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you buy insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Volkswagen at a much higher premium rate and make you pay the higher premium.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having car insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying over $750 every year so compare rate quotes at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Rates and information analytics
The rate table shown below highlights estimates of insurance coverage prices for Volkswagen Passat models. Having a better idea how insurance quotes are figured can assist in making informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Passat Komfort Station Wagon||$208||$402||$304||$18||$90||$1,022||$85|
|Passat Komfort 4-Dr Sedan||$208||$402||$358||$22||$106||$1,096||$91|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Estimates do not factor in vehicle location which can increase or decrease auto insurance rates substantially.
The information below illustrates how your deductible choice and can increase or decrease Volkswagen Passat yearly insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The premium estimates are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no policy discounts are applied.
Irresponsible driving raises your rates
The chart below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault fender-benders increase Volkswagen Passat insurance costs for each age group. The data assumes a married male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Impact of age and gender on car insurance rates
The chart below shows the difference between Volkswagen Passat insurance costs for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied.
Volkswagen Passat full coverage rates compared to liability only
The example below shows the difference between Volkswagen Passat insurance prices with and without full coverage. The price estimates are based on no claims or driving violations, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There isn’t a written rule of when to exclude physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than around 10% of the vehicle’s replacement cost less your deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s pretend your Volkswagen Passat claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $8,000 after paying your deductible. If premium cost is more than $800 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are a few situations where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not buy liability only.
Discounts for cheaper insurance rates
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list their entire list of discounts very well, so here is a list some of the more common and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using when you buy Honolulu auto insurance online. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you may be paying too high a price.
- Claim-Free Discount – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts in comparison with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Responsible Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than less cautious drivers.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same company you will save up to 20% and get you the cheapest Volkswagen Passat insurance in Honolulu.
- Driving Data Discount – Drivers who elect to allow companies to spy on driving manner by using a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive may get a rate reduction if they are good drivers.
- Senior Citizens – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may receive reduced rates.
- Multiple Vehicles – Purchasing coverage when you have all your vehicles with the same company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
As is typical with insurance, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck.
The diagram below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Passat auto insurance costs with and without discounts. The price estimates are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, claim-free, homeowner, multi-car, safe-driver, and multi-policy discounts applied.
A list of insurance companies and the discounts they provide are shown below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, multiple autos, multiple policy, safe vehicle, student away at school, and good student.
- GEICO may include discounts for emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, defensive driver, anti-theft, five-year accident-free, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive offers discounts for online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- 21st Century may offer discounts for student driver, good student, anti-lock brakes, air bags, theft prevention, and 55 and older.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, accident-free, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and air bags.
- The Hartford has discounts for defensive driver, air bag, anti-theft, bundle, vehicle fuel type, and driver training.
- AAA includes discounts for education and occupation, good student, multi-policy, pay-in-full, AAA membership discount, and anti-theft.
If you are trying to find inexpensive Honolulu auto insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering how many discounts you can get. Some credits may not apply to policyholders in every state.
Do I need an agent?
A lot of people still prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is a personal choice. Professional insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get cheap car insurance rates and also buy local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the coverage information is sent to companies in Honolulu who will give you quotes for your coverage. There is no need to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you need to compare prices from a specific insurance company, just go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing a company shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. Any agent in Honolulu should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- How long has their agency been open in Honolulu?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
When researching local Honolulu agents, it’s important to understand the different types of agents that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Honolulu can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both handle car insurance, but it’s worth learning how they are different because it can factor into the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive insurance agents generally can only insure with one company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Some people will only buy from the same agent for years primarily because of high brand loyalty rather than having the cheapest rates.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in Honolulu willing to provide price quotes.
- Dean Nomura – State Farm Insurance Agent
1215 Hunakai St #203 – Honolulu, HI 96816 – (808) 737-5662 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Dan Y.W. Au Hoy
931 University Ave Ste 108 – Honolulu, HI 96826 – (808) 944-1854 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Rory Lee
575 Cooke St d – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 596-8333 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not restricted to one company so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies and get you the best rates possible. If your premiums go up, they simply switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part.
When comparing car insurance rates, we recommend you get rate quotes from independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most also have access to companies that do not advertise much which can save you money.
Below are Honolulu independent insurance agencies who can help you get price quote information.
- First Insurance Co of Hawaii Limited
1100 Ward Ave # Main, Honolulu, HI 96814, Honolulu, 96818 – Honolulu, HI 96818 – (808) 527-7777 – View Map
- Island Insurance Hawaii
1022 Bethel St – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 643-4000 – View Map
- Anita Butay Diniega
1088 Bishop St #2210 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 841-5915 – View Map
After receiving good feedback to all your questions and a low price estimate, most likely you have located an insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly service your car insurance policy. Just remember you are able to terminate your policy whenever you want so never feel you are locked into any specific agency for any length of time.
Car insurance company ratings
Picking a good quality car insurance company can be a challenge considering how many companies are available to choose from in Hawaii. The information shown next can help you select which auto insurers you want to consider shopping your coverage with.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- The Hartford
- Farmers Insurance
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Farmers Insurance
A conclusion for your car insurance search
We covered a lot of techniques to lower your Volkswagen Passat insurance premium rates in Honolulu. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding affordable Honolulu auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates come from a small local company.
When you buy Honolulu auto insurance online, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Cheaper Volkswagen Passat insurance in Honolulu is attainable on the web in addition to many Honolulu insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers may not offer price quotes online and usually these smaller companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
Steps to finding discount Volkswagen Passat insurance in Honolulu
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest Volkswagen Passat insurance in Honolulu is to start comparing prices yearly from different companies that insure vehicles in Hawaii. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- First, learn about how car insurance works and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that are responsible for high rates such as at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a substandard credit score can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
- Second, obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the new rates to your existing rates and see if there is a cheaper rate in Honolulu. If you can save money and decide to switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
A key point to remember is that you’ll want to make sure you compare identical coverage information on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from every company you can. This ensures an accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
To learn more, take a look at the articles below:
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Good Students in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)