It’s hard to believe, but most consumers have been with the same company for at least four years, and nearly the majority have never compared rates from other carriers. Many consumers in Hawaii could save $360 each year by just shopping around, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to do a rate comparison.
To save the most money, the best way to find more affordable Fiat 500 insurance is to regularly compare quotes from insurers that sell auto insurance in Honolulu. Rates can be compared by following these guidelines.
First, take a little time to learn about how car insurance works and the steps you can take to lower rates. Many things that cause rate increases like traffic tickets, fender benders, and a substandard credit score can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Second, compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources. Get quotes now
Third, compare the new rates to your existing policy to determine if you can save on 500 insurance. If you find a better price and buy the policy, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your existing policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application to your new carrier. Once coverage is bound, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
The key aspect of shopping around is to compare the same amount of coverage on every price quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as you can. This helps ensure a fair price comparison and the best price quote selection.
The quickest method to compare policy rates for Fiat 500 insurance in Honolulu is to know auto insurance companies participate in online systems to give you rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is give them rating details including driver details, if a SR-22 is needed, level of coverage desired, and how much you drive. The rating information is instantly provided to many different companies and you will get price comparisons very quickly.
If you wish to get multiple quotes for your Fiat 500 now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The companies in the list below provide free rate quotes in Honolulu, HI. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you visit several of them to find the lowest car insurance rates.
Get cheaper Fiat 500 insurance rates in Honolulu
Buying insurance is not cheap, but you may qualify for discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time you complete a quote, but once in a while a discount must be manually applied before being credited.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen less frequently and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a class that teaches defensive driver techniques may get you a small discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Telematics Discount – Drivers who elect to allow data collection to track driving patterns by using a telematic data system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system may get a rate reduction if their driving habits are good.
- Drivers Education – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers enroll and complete driver’s education in school.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts as opposed to accident-prone drivers.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment instead of paying each month you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Employee of Federal Government – Having worked for a branch of the government could cut as much as 10% off depending on your company.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Forcing all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts may be able to save a few bucks off PIP or medical payments premium.
As is typical with insurance, some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Auto insurance companies who might offer these discounts may include but are not limited to:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
If you need the cheapest Fiat 500 rate quotes, ask every prospective company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere.
Are insurance agents used anymore?
A small number of people still like to sit down and talk to an agent and that can be a smart move The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to participating agents in Honolulu that can give you free Honolulu auto insurance quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to drive around as quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you want to quote rates for a specific company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurance company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Honolulu should have no problem answering these questions:
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
Honolulu car insurance agents come in two flavors
If you are wanting to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are a couple of different types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Auto insurance agencies are considered either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company such as Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Drivers often buy from exclusive agents primarily because of the prominence of the brand rather than having low rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Honolulu that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Sean Huh – State Farm Insurance Agent
23 S Vineyard Blvd #205 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 528-0001 – View Map
- Doug Kam-Young – State Farm Insurance Agent
2841 Kaonawai Pl – Honolulu, HI 96822 – (808) 988-7011 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Ricky N. Bonilla
2024 N King St #101b – Honolulu, HI 96819 – (808) 842-5844 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not locked into one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with any number of different companies and find the cheapest rate. If premiums increase, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part.
When comparison shopping, you will want to get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison. Most also have access to smaller regional carriers that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Below are independent agencies in Honolulu that can give you price quote information.
- Rosten Y Tsuha Insurance Agency Inc
1350 S King St #303 – Honolulu, HI 96814 – (808) 591-5545 – View Map
- Dongbu Insurance
1440 Kapiolani Blvd # 950 – Honolulu, HI 96814 – (808) 942-5353 – View Map
- Cavanah Associates, Inc.
1100 Alakea St #2600 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 537-1970 – View Map
If you feel you receive satisfactory answers to your questions as well as offering an affordable quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that will insure your vehicles.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage online or from an agent for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions may help you determine whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Get More Affordable Insurance Rates by Understanding These Factors
Many things are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some are obvious such as your driving history, but some are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
Shown below are a few of the things auto insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Policy add-ons may be wasting money – Insurance policies have a lot of add-on coverages that may not really be needed when buying auto insurance. Coverages like replacement cost coverage, better glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage are some examples. They may seem like a good idea when buying your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Which gender costs less? – Statistics show females are less aggressive when driving. That doesn’t necessarily mean that females are better drivers. Men and women are responsible for fender benders at about the same rate, but the male of the species tend to have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men get higher numbers of serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Youthful male drivers tend to get in the most accidents so it costs more to insure them.
- Save by driving vehicles with better crash test results – Cars with five star safety ratings get lower rates. Safe vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and reduced instances of injuries translates directly to fewer claims which can mean better rates for you. If your Fiat 500 is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Avoid policy lapses – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse is a fast way to bump up your auto insurance costs. In addition to paying higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance might get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- Liability insurance limits on your policy – Your auto insurance policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you if you are determined to be liable for an accident. This coverage provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Is you vocation costing you more? – Jobs like military generals, police officers, and stock brokers tend to have higher premium rates because of high stress levels and lengthy work days. On the other hand, jobs such as farmers, engineers and homemakers pay lower than average rates.
- Fast cars cost more to insure – The make and model of the car or truck you are insuring makes a significant difference in your premium level. Smaller low performance passenger vehicles normally have pretty low rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Premiums are high for teenagers – Older insureds tend to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and usually have better credit. Drivers with little experience are statistically proven to be easily distracted behind the wheel so they pay higher auto insurance rates.
Fiat 500 insurance loss data – Insurance companies analyze the history of losses as a way to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Models that statistically have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have a higher cost to insure.
The table below shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Fiat 500 vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is considered to be 100. Values that are 100 or less mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers shown that are more than 100 point to more losses or statistically larger losses.
Fiat 500 Insurance Claim Statistics Specific Fiat Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Fiat 500 72 76 66 96 89 84 Fiat 500 Convertible 76 79 60 85 Fiat 500 Electric 73 59 76 60 Fiat 500L 112 80 102 128 93 97BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Fiat 500 in Honolulu, paying for insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost all lenders will require that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender will be forced to insure your Fiat at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying more than $800 each year so compare rate quotes each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Be persistent and save
Consumers leave their current company for any number of reasons including high prices, policy cancellation, unfair underwriting practices or being labeled a high risk driver. Whatever your reason, switching car insurance companies is not as difficult as it may seem.
Cheap Fiat 500 insurance in Honolulu is possible both online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not provide price quotes online and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
For more information, take a look at the articles below:
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60 in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Honolulu Auto Insurance Rates for First-time Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Seniors in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)