Statistics show that most drivers in Hawaii renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could cut their rates by about $859 a year just by shopping around, but they don’t know how much savings they would realize if they replace their high priced policy.
Truthfully, the best way to find low-cost prices for auto insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from companies in Honolulu.
- Learn about car insurance and the factors you can control to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates like multiple speeding tickets and a low credit rating can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices for many different companies. Find a Honolulu insurance agent
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Provide proper notification to your current company to cancel the current policy. Submit the required down payment along with the signed application to your new insurance company. Once received, keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
An important part of this process is to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from every insurance company. Doing this guarantees an accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
We hope to teach you a little about how to get online quotes and also save some money in the process If you’re already insured, you will definitely be able to buy cheaper auto insurance using these techniques. Drivers just need to know the most effective way to compare rates from many different companies online.
The following companies can provide comparison quotes in Hawaii. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Take advantage of these price cutting discounts
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but companies offer discounts that you may not know about. Some trigger automatically when you quote, but a few need to be asked about prior to receiving the credit.
- Memberships – Belonging to specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a simple method to lower premiums when shopping for car insurance.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a vehicle that is new may earn a small discount because newer models are generally safer.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Have your child participate in a local driver’s education class if offered at their school.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save a little off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks with the same car insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Air Bag Discount – Options like air bags may get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Government Employee Discount – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% but check with your company.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Sign Early and Save – Select insurance companies give a discount for renewing your policy prior to the expiration date on your current Sorento insurance policy. Ten percent is about the average savings.
It’s important to understand that most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don’t profit that way.
Companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- American Family includes discounts for good driver, defensive driver, TimeAway discount, mySafetyValet, air bags, bundled insurance, and Steer into Savings.
- Nationwide has savings for accident-free, Farm Bureau membership, good student, anti-theft, defensive driving, easy pay, and multi-policy.
- MetLife may offer discounts for good driver, accident-free, claim-free, defensive driver, and good student.
- 21st Century has discounts for homeowners, early bird, student driver, defensive driver, good student, and air bags.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for youthful driver, early shopping, pay in full, distant student, and alternative fuel.
- Allstate may include discounts for eSmart discount, good student, senior citizen, multi-policy, and early signing.
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in Honolulu. To see a list of insurers offering car insurance discounts in Honolulu, click this link.
Smart Consumers Know How to Get Car Insurance at a Discount
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing some of the things that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that can earn you better car insurance rates.
Shown below are most of the major factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your premiums.
- Low physical damage deductibles cost more – The deductibles you choose define how much you are required to spend if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are colliding with a stationary object, collision with a deer, or theft of your vehicle. The larger the amount you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Which gender costs less? – Statistics demonstrate that females take fewer risks when driving. This data doesn’t prove that men are worse drivers. Women and men cause fender benders at a similar rate, but the males get into accidents with more damage. Men also tend to get cited for more serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Youthful male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
- More traffic equals higher premiums – Living in less populated areas is a positive aspect when it comes to car insurance. Lower population means reduced accidents. City drivers tend to have traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. The longer drive time means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Additional coverages that may be costing you – Policies have extra coverages that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Add-on coverages like coverage for rental cars, better glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships may be costing you every month. They may seem good when buying your policy, but if you don’t need them get rid of them and save.
- Less chance of injury means lower premiums – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates. If your Kia has at least four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
- Marriage brings a discount – Walking down the aisle helps lower the price on your car insurance policy. It is viewed as being more mature and statistics prove drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Higher car insurance rates for car insurance policy lapses – Driving without insurance coverage in place can get you a ticket and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your insurance lapse for non-payment. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance could result in a revoked license or a big fine.
Insurance losses for a Kia Sorento – Car insurance companies use data from past claims when they set coverage costs for each model. Models that have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have higher premium rates.
The data below shows the historical insurance loss data for Kia Sorento vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is a value of 100. Numbers below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while values that are above 100 point to more claims or tendency to have larger claims.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Kia Sorento Vehicles Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Kia Sorento 4dr 2WD 80 86 82 110 111 94 Kia Sorento 4dr 4WD 85 87 101 97 98 85BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years