Think you have high-priced Dodge Dakota insurance in Honolulu? Say no more because many consumers are feeling buyer’s remorse and feel like there’s no way out.
It’s an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Insureds who get price quotes annually are very likely to switch companies because they have a good chance of finding more affordable rates. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that consumers who made a habit of comparing rates saved over $865 annually compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the lowest price for Dodge Dakota insurance is your objective, then having an understanding of how to find companies and compare car insurance can help you succeed in saving money.
Insurance companies such as Progressive, State Farm and GEICO all claim big savings with ad campaigns and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the promise of big savings and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It is always a good idea to do rate comparisons as often as possible since insurance prices change frequently. Even if you think you had the lowest rate on Dodge Dakota insurance in Honolulu six months ago you will most likely find a better premium rate today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because we’re going to show you one of the best ways to lower your annual insurance bill.
If you’re already insured, you will definitely be able to shop for the lowest rates using the ideas you’re about to read. Choosing the most cost-effective car insurance policy in Honolulu can initially seem challenging. But Hawaii car owners need to learn how the larger insurance companies price online insurance because it can help you find the best coverage.
Earn discounts on Honolulu insurance
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list every discount available in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details both the well known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Honolulu car insurance online.
- Smart Student Discounts – Performing well in school could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Organization Discounts – Being in qualifying employment or professional organizations could trigger savings on your bill.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Accident Waiver – This one isn’t a discount, but some companies like State Farm and GEICO may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Multiple Cars – Buying a policy with multiple cars or trucks on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings up to 30%.
- Military Rewards – Having an actively deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Being a homeowner can save a few bucks because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you insure your home and vehicles and insure them with the same company they may give you a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Despite the fact that it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you’re out of luck.
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Dakota premium costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The premiums are based on a male driver, no violations or claims, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-car, claim-free, marriage, safe-driver, and multi-policy discounts applied.
A list of companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are:
- GEICO may offer discounts for air bags, daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, driver training, and federal employee.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for student away at school, multi-policy, group or association, air bags, paperless, and good student.
- American Family may have discounts that include mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, early bird, TimeAway discount, and defensive driver.
- Esurance has discounts for safety device, homeowner, good student, Switch & Save, good driver, and Pac-12 alumni.
- Progressive offers discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online quote discount, and online signing.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for multiple policy, good student, Drive Safe & Save, good driver, anti-theft, and multiple autos.
- AAA discounts include anti-theft, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, good driver, good student, multi-policy, and multi-car.
When comparing rates, check with each company or agent to give you their best rates. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in Honolulu.
The are a couple different ways to get quotes from lots of Hawaii insurance companies. The best method to find cheaper Dodge Dakota rates is to perform an online rate comparison.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it a waste of time to actually drive to and from local Honolulu insurance agencies. Comparing Dodge Dakota insurance rate quotes online makes this unnecessary unless you’re the type of person who wants the professional assistance of a licensed agent. You can, however, price shop your coverage online and have a local agent actually service the policy.
When quoting insurance, remember that more quotes increases the chance that you will find the best price. Not every company allows you to get price estimates online, so you need to compare prices from them, too.
The companies in the list below provide comparison quotes in Honolulu, HI. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Analysis of Dodge Dakota rates
The rate information shown below covers estimates of policy rates for Dodge Dakota models. Being able to understand how premiums are figured can benefit drivers when making informed decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 2WD||$94||$212||$348||$20||$104||$778||$65|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 2WD||$94||$212||$348||$20||$104||$778||$65|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 2WD||$108||$212||$348||$20||$104||$792||$66|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 2WD||$108||$212||$348||$20||$104||$792||$66|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 2WD||$108||$250||$348||$20||$104||$830||$69|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 2WD||$108||$250||$348||$20||$104||$830||$69|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 4WD||$122||$212||$278||$16||$84||$712||$59|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 4WD||$122||$212||$278||$16||$84||$712||$59|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 2WD||$122||$250||$348||$20||$104||$844||$70|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 4WD||$122||$212||$278||$16||$84||$712||$59|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 4WD||$122||$212||$278||$16||$84||$712||$59|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 4WD||$122||$212||$278||$16||$84||$712||$59|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$122||$250||$278||$16||$84||$750||$63|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$122||$250||$278||$16||$84||$750||$63|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 4WD||$122||$250||$278||$16||$84||$750||$63|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4WD||$136||$250||$278||$16||$84||$764||$64|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in specific location information which can impact prices greatly.
Careless driving habits raise Honolulu car insurance rates
The chart below demonstrates how citations and at-fault collisions can impact Dodge Dakota car insurance costs for each age group. The data is based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Do you need full coverage?
The information below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Dakota car insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The costs are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to stop paying for full coverage
There is no definitive guideline to eliminate full coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Dodge Dakota settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $6,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying over $600 a year to have full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are a few situations where eliminating full coverage is not recommended. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When quoting and choosing insurance from an agent or online, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Every insured’s situation is different.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Honolulu?
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form.
Are insurance agencies of importance?
A lot of people just want to visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get cheap auto insurance rates and still choose a local agent.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance data is submitted to local insurance agents in Honolulu who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. It’s the lowest rates without a big time investment. If you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Selecting an provider needs to be determined by more than just the price. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
If you want to use a good Honolulu insurance agent, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Auto insurance agents in Honolulu are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type write business for a single company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are trained well in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
Listed below are Honolulu exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give price quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not restricted to one company and that allows them to write policies through many different auto insurance companies and find you the best rates. If you want to switch companies, they simply move your policy to a different company which is easy for the insured.
If you need lower rates, we highly recommend that you check rates from at least one independent agent in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Honolulu that can give you rate quotes.
Why car insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, buying car insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Dodge for a much higher rate and make you pay the higher price.
- Car insurance preserves your vehicle and your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your Dodge gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays as much as $800 each year so it’s recommended you shop around each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance policy specifics
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Coverage for collisions
Collision insurance covers damage to your Dakota resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims like hitting a mailbox, colliding with a tree and colliding with another moving vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Dakota to get cheaper collision coverage.
Liability auto insurance
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to a person or their property. This insurance protects YOU against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see policy limits of 20/40/10 which means a limit of $20,000 per injured person, $40,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $10,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability can pay for claims like medical services, loss of income and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. Hawaii requires drivers to carry at least 20/40/10 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Dodge Dakota.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (20/40/10), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for expenses for rehabilitation expenses, dental work, funeral costs and chiropractic care. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
This coverage covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like damage from a tornado or hurricane, vandalism and a broken windshield. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Frequent quotes can save
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don’t buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, someone sacrificed physical damage coverage to discover at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
We just showed you a lot of information how to save on Dodge Dakota insurance in Honolulu. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the best car insurance rates are with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Insureds who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including high prices, policy cancellation, being labeled a high risk driver or even not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company can be easier than you think.
How to save on Dodge Dakota insurance in Honolulu
Really, the only way to get more affordable Dodge Dakota insurance is to compare prices once a year from different companies that sell auto insurance in Honolulu.
- First, try to learn a little about how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that increase rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and an unacceptable credit history can be improved by paying attention to minor details.
- Second, compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate in Honolulu. If you can save some money, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your current company of your intent to cancel your existing policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application to your new insurance company. Once coverage is bound, place your new certificate verifying coverage with the vehicle registration.
The most important part of this process is that you’ll want to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get price quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and many rates to choose from.
Additional learning opportunities
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Who Has Cheap Honolulu Car Insurance for Teachers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Explorer in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Auto Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)