It takes a little time, but the best way to find cheaper prices for car insurance rates in Honolulu is to regularly compare quotes from insurers in Hawaii. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, it will benefit you to learn about how companies set rates and the things you can change to keep rates low. Many rating factors that result in higher rates like traffic citations and a negative credit rating can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely. Later in this article we will cover additional tips to keep prices down and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Second, get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to your existing policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Honolulu. If you find better rates and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
One piece of advice is to make sure you’re comparing identical limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get prices from as many different insurance providers as possible. This enables a level playing field and a complete selection of prices.
It’s a fact that insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. Insureds who compare rates at least once a year will most likely buy a new policy because there is a good probability of finding a more affordable policy premium. A study showed that drivers who compared prices once a year saved an average of $70 a month compared to other drivers who never compared rates.
If finding the cheapest price for Toyota Highlander Hybrid insurance is why you’re here, then having an understanding of how to find and compare insurance coverage can make the process less intimidating.
If you’re already insured or are shopping for new coverage, use these tips to save money without reducing protection. Buying affordable car insurance in Honolulu is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. Vehicle owners just need to understand the proper methods to buy car insurance online.
The following companies offer comparison quotes in Honolulu, HI. If multiple companies are shown, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Verify you’re earning every discount
Some insurance providers do not list all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of some of the best known and the harder-to-find discounts that you may qualify for. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you could be getting lower rates.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning your own home or condo can save a few bucks due to the fact that maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course in school.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than their less cautious counterparts.
- E-sign Discounts – Some larger companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy on the web.
- Active Military Service – Having an actively deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- Telematics Discount – Insureds who allow their auto insurance company to spy on driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Renewal Discounts – Some companies reward drivers for buying a policy prior to the expiration date on your current Highlander Hybrid insurance policy. You may see this discount when you get Honolulu auto insurance quotes online.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
To view providers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Hawaii, click here to view.
Local neighborhood agents and insurance
Some people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help you file claims. A nice benefit of comparing rate quotes online is you can get the lowest rates and still have a local agent. Putting coverage with neighborhood insurance agencies is definitely important in Honolulu.
By using this quick form, your coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. You won’t even need to contact any agents since price quotes are sent instantly to you. If you wish to get a price quote from a particular provider, you would need to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
If you want to buy insurance from a good Honolulu insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Agents in Honolulu are either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both write policy coverage, but it’s worth learning the differences since it may influence which type of agent you select.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not employed by one company so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a lower price, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part. When comparing insurance rates, you absolutely need to include multiple independent agents to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a short list of independent agents in Honolulu that may be able to give you pricing information.
Agents in the exclusive channel work for only one company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. These agents receive a lot of sales training on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Below is a list of exclusive agencies in Honolulu that are able to give price quote information.
Choosing the best car insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Honolulu?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Hawaii?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
Once you have received satisfactory answers to all your questions as well as an affordable premium quote, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that is reliable enough to service your policy. Just keep in mind once you purchase a policy you can terminate coverage whenever you choose to so never assume you’re contractually obligated to any specific agency indefinitely.
Do I need special coverages?
Always keep in mind that when comparing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. You are unique and your insurance should be unique as well.
For instance, these questions may help highlight whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
If you’re not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Auto insurance companies ranked
Ending up with the best insurance provider is difficult considering how many choices drivers have in Hawaii. The ranking data displayed below can help you choose which car insurance providers you want to consider shopping prices with.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
The coverage is in the details
Having a good grasp of your auto insurance policy can help you determine appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are the normal coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
Coverage for collisions
Collision insurance covers damage to your Highlander Hybrid resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things such as scraping a guard rail, sustaining damage from a pot hole, damaging your car on a curb, backing into a parked car and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Highlander Hybrid to save money on collision insurance.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like damage from getting keyed, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, a broken windshield and hitting a bird. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Medical expense insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for bills for nursing services, chiropractic care and doctor visits. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Toyota Highlander Hybrid.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 20/40/10), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Liability auto insurance
This protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property. Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see values of 20/40/10 that translate to a limit of $20,000 per injured person, a limit of $40,000 in injury protection per accident, and $10,000 of coverage for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined limit which combines the three limits into one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for things such as medical services, funeral expenses, bail bonds and emergency aid. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Hawaii state law requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/10 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The chart below demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Find cheaper rates by being thorough
A few companies may not have online price quotes and many times these small, regional companies work with independent agents. More affordable insurance in Honolulu is definitely available online and from local insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced full coverage and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at the lowest possible cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Honolulu Auto Insurance Quotes for a GMC Sierra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Honolulu Car Insurance for Teachers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Honda Civic in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Uninsured Drivers in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Auto Insurance for 18 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for College Graduates in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Teenage Females in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Honolulu Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)