The preferred way to get cheaper Ford Explorer insurance in Honolulu is to compare prices at least once a year from insurers who provide car insurance in Hawaii. Rate comparisons can be done by following these steps.
First, try to understand coverages and the changes you can make to keep rates in check. Many rating factors that cause rate increases such as speeding and poor credit history can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely. Keep reading for additional tips to find cheap rates and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
Second, get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to make sure you enter the same level of coverage on each price quote and and to get price estimates from as many different insurance providers as possible. This provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
A recent study showed that the majority of drivers have been with the same company for over three years, and just short of a majority have never even shopped around for cheap coverage. Many consumers in Hawaii could save as much as 40% every year by just shopping around, but most just don’t grasp the large savings they would see if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
This information will help you learn how auto insurance companies operate and how to save the most money. If you are already insured, you should be able to get lower rates using the techniques presented in this article. You only need to know the least time-consuming way to get comparison quotes online.
How to shop Ford Explorer insurance online
The following companies offer price comparisons in Honolulu, HI. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Get discounts on Honolulu auto insurance
Buying auto insurance is not cheap, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be asked for before being credited.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Drivers who insure all your vehicles with the same company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Employee of Federal Government – Federal government employees can save as much as 8% but check with your company.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Insurance carriers who offer life insurance give a break if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Cars that have air bags may qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you will save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
We need to note that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, it’s just not the way it works. But all discounts will cut your auto insurance premiums.
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Ford Explorer annual premium costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The costs are based on a male driver, no violations or claims, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, multi-car, marriage, safe-driver, and claim-free discounts applied.
Large auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are detailed below.
- The Hartford may include discounts for anti-theft, defensive driver, driver training, good student, and air bag.
- American Family offers discounts including accident-free, good driver, mySafetyValet, good student, and bundled insurance.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including online signing, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers may have discounts that include save driver, student away at school, multi-policy, payment discounts, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for multi-car, homeowner, alternative fuel, distant student, switch companies, and pay in full.
- USAA includes discounts for safe driver, vehicle storage, good student, driver training, military installation, and multi-vehicle.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for safety features, exclusive group savings, newly married, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, and new vehicle discount.
When getting free Honolulu auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to all companies you are considering what discounts are available to you. Savings may not apply to policies in Honolulu. To find insurers with significant discounts in Hawaii, click here.
Rates and other information
The rate information below covers different insurance rates for Ford Explorer models. Having a good grasp of how insurance quotes are determined can help drivers make smart choices when buying a car insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Explorer XLT 2WD||$196||$332||$278||$16||$84||$906||$76|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$196||$332||$278||$16||$84||$906||$76|
|Explorer XLT 4WD||$196||$332||$278||$16||$84||$906||$76|
|Explorer XLT AWD||$196||$332||$278||$16||$84||$906||$76|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$222||$404||$278||$16||$84||$1,004||$84|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$222||$404||$278||$16||$84||$1,004||$84|
|Explorer Limited 2WD||$222||$404||$278||$16||$84||$1,004||$84|
|Explorer Limited 4WD||$222||$404||$278||$16||$84||$1,004||$84|
|Explorer Limited AWD||$222||$404||$278||$16||$84||$1,004||$84|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can raise or lower prices substantially.
Informed Decisions Result in Lower Insurance Premiums
Many different elements are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, although others are less obvious such as whether you are married or how safe your car is. Part of the insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that help determine your premiums. If you understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that can earn you lower rates.
Shown below are most of the major factors that factor into your premiums.
- Improve your credit rating and save – Your credit history can be an important factor in calculating your insurance rates. If your credit is not that good, you could pay less to insure your Ford Explorer by taking the time to improve your credit score. People with very good credit scores tend to file fewer claims than those with lower credit scores.
Which gender costs less? – The statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. However, don’t assume that females are better at driving than males. Men and women cause auto accidents in similar percentages, but the males have costlier accidents. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more major tickets such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
The information below shows the comparison of Ford Explorer car insurance rates for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, full coverage, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
- Do you have enough liability protection? – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will protect you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Employer impacts premiums – Careers such as fire fighters, airline pilots, and stock brokers have higher rates than the rest of us attributed to high stress and extremely grueling work hours. Conversely, occupations such as scientists, students and performers get better rates.
Driving citations can be expensive – A bad driving record influences premium rates substantially. Attentive drivers pay less for auto insurance as compared to those with violations. Even a single moving violation can increase the cost of insurance to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers who get serious tickets like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
The chart below shows how traffic citations and at-fault claims can raise Ford Explorer auto insurance rates for each different age category. The information is based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Insurance losses for a Ford Explorer – Insurers include the past claim trends for vehicles to calculate a rate that offsets possible losses. Vehicles that the data shows to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will cost more for coverage.
The next table shows the historical loss data for Ford Explorer vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as an average, is represented as 100. Numbers that are below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Ford Explorer Insurance Loss Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford Explorer 4dr 2WD 80 90 79 75 70 82 Ford Explorer 4dr 4WD 94 94 97 75 70 85BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
When to have guidance from an insurance agency
A lot of people still prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that can be a smart move Good insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can find better rates and still buy from a local agent. Supporting local agencies is definitely important in Honolulu.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is immediately sent to insurance agents in Honolulu that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to leave your computer as quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you need to compare prices from one company in particular, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Choose an insurance agent wisely
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they operate. Insurance agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both sell affordable insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know how they differ because it can impact the type of agent you choose.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles through many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to find a new agent.
If you need lower rates, you should always include rate quotes from several independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Honolulu that may be able to give you free insurance rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They usually cannot compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are highly trained in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price.
Below are Honolulu exclusive agencies willing to provide comparison quotes.
Finding the right insurance agency should depend on more than just a low price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- If they are an independent agency in Honolulu, which companies do they recommend?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- What companies can they write with?
If you get answers to your satisfaction as well as offering an affordable quote, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that is reliable enough to service your policy.
Car insurance companies ranked
Finding the top car insurance provider can be difficult considering how many companies sell insurance in Hawaii. The information below can help you pick which auto insurance companies you want to consider when shopping around.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Persistence is the key to cheap rates
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can compare Ford Explorer insurance premium rates in Honolulu. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of getting affordable Ford Explorer insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with the least-expected company. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
More information can be read at the links below
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for State Employees in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for 19 Year Olds in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Honolulu Auto Insurance Rates for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)