The recommended way to save money on car insurance rates in Honolulu is to start comparing prices regularly from different companies who sell insurance in Hawaii. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
First, get a basic knowledge of how your policy works and the modifications you can make to keep rates in check. Many rating factors that cause high rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and an unacceptable credit score can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Continue reading for additional tips to help find cheaper rates and find missing discounts.
Second, obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices for many different companies.
Third, compare the quotes to your current policy premium to see if cheaper ILX coverage is available. If you find a lower rate quote, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, give notification to your current company to cancel the current policy and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to your new company or agent. Immediately upon receiving it, store the certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle.
An important part of this process is to try to use the same coverage limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get price estimates from as many companies as feasibly possible. This ensures a fair price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
A recent car insurance study revealed that most car insurance policyholders in Hawaii renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find affordable rates. The average driver in the United States could cut their rates by $859 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don’t know the rate savings if they bought a different policy.
Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Honolulu seems hard but is not really that difficult. If you have coverage now or just want cheaper rates, follow these tips to reduce premiums without having to cut coverage. Shoppers only have to learn the most efficient way to compare rates from many different companies.
The easiest way to compare insurance rates from multiple companies utilizes the fact most of the larger companies participate in a system to provide you with free rate quotes. The one thing you need to do is provide information including if you lease or own, your general credit rating, your job, and the type of vehicles you drive. Your information is then sent to multiple companies and they return quotes within a short period of time.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here then complete the form.
The companies in the list below offer price comparisons in Honolulu, HI. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you click on several of them to get the most competitive price.
Why insurance is not optional
Despite the high insurance cost for a Acura ILX in Honolulu, paying for insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your ILX has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will require you to have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your Acura at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance preserves both your assets and your car. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay to defend you if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Honolulu is overpaying over $865 each year so it’s recommended you shop around at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Don’t overlook these Acura ILX insurance discounts
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but you can get discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some trigger automatically when you get a quote, but some may not be applied and must be asked about before you get the savings.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Insuring multiple cars or trucks on a single policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking time to complete a defensive driving course could save 5% or more and make you a better driver.
- 55 and Retired – Mature drivers are able to get better auto insurance rates.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Good Students Pay Less – Being a good student could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount well after school through age 25.
- Onboard Data Collection – Honolulu drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to track driving patterns by using a telematic data system such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive might see lower rates if they are good drivers.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Claim-free drivers have much lower rates when compared with policyholders that have many claims.
- Multi-line Discount – Larger insurance companies have a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could earn you a nice discount on your policy.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A list of companies and a selection of discounts are included below.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for multi-policy, safe driver, driver training, renewal discount, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multiple autos, good driver, anti-theft, accident-free, multiple policy, and student away at school.
- Progressive includes discounts for homeowner, continuous coverage, good student, online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
- Allstate may offer discounts for safe driver, resident student, EZ pay plan discount, good student, early signing, good payer, and FullPay discount.
- Nationwide discounts include anti-theft, multi-policy, Farm Bureau membership, easy pay, business or organization, and defensive driving.
- MetLife may have discounts that include claim-free, multi-policy, defensive driver, good student, accident-free, good driver
When getting free Honolulu car insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Savings might not be available to policyholders in every state. To view insurance companies who offer discounts in Honolulu, click here to view.
Get rate quotes but work with a neighborhood Honolulu auto insurance agent
Certain consumers would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Professional insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find lower rates and still choose a local agent.
Once you complete this simple form, your coverage information is immediately sent to participating agents in Honolulu who will give competitive quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to drive around because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right company should include more criteria than just a low price. Any good agent in Honolulu should know the answers to these questions.
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Honolulu?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
When narrowing the list to find local Honolulu agents, you should know the different types of agents and how they work. Auto insurance policy providers are considered either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either one can write policy coverage, but it’s important to point out the subtle differences since it could factor into the kind of agent you use.
Agents of this type are contracted to one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They are unable to shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are well trained on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Some insured continue to buy from the same agent for years mainly due to the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
The following are Honolulu exclusive agents willing to provide price quotes.
- Kevin Takahashi – State Farm Insurance Agent
1284 Kalani St d108 – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 845-0069 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Bradley Maruyama
800 S Beretania St Ste 260 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 591-8016 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance Hawaii
Six Waterfront Plaza 3rd Floor, 500 Ala Moana Blvd – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 533-2444 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are not restricted to one company so they can write business with an assortment of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a cheaper price, they can switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, we recommend you get quotes from several independent insurance agents for the best price selection. A lot of them also have access to smaller companies that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in Honolulu willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Cornerstones Financial and Insurance Agency
250 Ward Ave #220 – Honolulu, HI 96814 – (808) 626-5068 – View Map
- Pyramid Insurance Center Ltd
420 Waiakamilo Rd – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 527-7667 – View Map
- Insurance Associates, Inc.
800 Bethel St # 200 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 538-6938 – View Map
After getting reasonable responses to any questions you have and a low price estimate, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that can be relied on to provide auto insurance coverage. Keep in mind you can always cancel a policy any time you want so don’t think that you are obligated to any specific agency for any length of time.
What is the best auto insurance company in Honolulu?
Selecting the best insurance company can be rather challenging considering how many companies there are in Honolulu. The ranking data in the lists below could help you decide which auto insurers to look at shopping prices with.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- The Hartford
- Farmers Insurance
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- AAA Insurance – A
- Liberty Mutual – A
In the end, you can save money
Consumers change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, high prices, poor customer service or questionable increases in premium. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a great new company is less work than it seems.
We just presented some good ideas how you can compare Acura ILX insurance premium rates in Honolulu. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from the least-expected company.
Cost effective Acura ILX insurance is definitely available online and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who do not provide online price quotes and these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
More detailed insurance information can be found by following these links:
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Veterans in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Honolulu Car Insurance Rates for College Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Auto Insurance for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)