It’s amazing but most insurance buyers in Hawaii kept their coverage with the same insurance company for at least four years, and just short of a majority have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. With the average insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could cut their rates by almost $860 a year, but most tend to underestimate the actual amount they would save if they replace their high priced policy.
To save the most money, the best way to find better pricing on car insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies in Honolulu.
- Try to comprehend how your policy works and the measures you can control to keep rates low. Many factors that result in higher rates such as traffic citations and an unfavorable credit rating can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Continue reading for additional tips to help prevent high rates and earn a bigger discount.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple companies.
- Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find better rates, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit the application along with any required down payment for the new coverage. Once coverage is bound, keep the new certificate verifying coverage along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
A good piece of advice is that you use identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and to quote with every insurance company. This provides an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
These tips will let you in on how to effectively get price quotes and how you can save the most money. If you have coverage now, you will surely be able to lower your rates using the ideas you’re about to read. But Hawaii vehicle owners must understand how insurance companies calculate their prices and take advantage of how the system works.
Kia Spectra Insurance Rates Can Be Cheaper
Lots of things are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, but others are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or how financially stable you are.
- Does your job raise your rates? – Careers such as judges, architects, and miners have higher premiums than the average policyholder in part from intense work requirements and long work days. On the flip side, careers such as professors, engineers and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
- Women tend to take less risk – Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. However, this does not mean men are WORSE drivers than women. Both sexes have fender benders at a similar rate, but males have costlier accidents. Men also get ticketed for serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Young men ages 16 to 20 are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Continuous coverage lowers prices – Letting your insurance expire will be a quick way to increase your rates. Not only will you pay more, being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- Better rates for being claim-free – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in Hawaii generally give the best rates to insureds who are not frequent claim filers. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Fewer miles means better prices – The higher the mileage driven each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Most companies calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks that do not get driven very much can be on a lower rate level than those that get driven frequently. It’s a good idea to make sure your auto insurance policy reflects the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. A policy that improperly rates your Spectra may be costing you higher rates.
- What are good liability coverage limits? – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance is the protection if ever you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Increase comp and collision deductibles and save – Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles define how much you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, aka comp and collision, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply could be collision with another vehicle, hail damage, and damage caused by road hazards. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the better rate you will receive.
- Alarms and GPS tracking systems cut auto insurance rates – Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all help prevent auto theft.
Compare Kia Spectra insurance rates
Most major insurance companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Progressive make it easy to get price estimates online. The process is fairly simple as you just enter the coverage amounts you desire as requested by the quote form. Behind the scenes, their system pulls reports for credit and driving violations and generates pricing information determined by many factors.
Quoting online for Kia Spectra insurance in Honolulu simplifies rate comparisons, and it’s very important to do this if you are searching for the cheapest car insurance rates.
In order to find out if lower rates are available, compare quotes from the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you type in the insurance coverages exactly as they are listed on your policy. Doing this assures you will have a rate comparison for similar insurance coverage.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Hawaii. If the list has multiple companies, it’s a good idea that you get rates from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Insurance does more than just repair your car
Even though it can be expensive, insurance serves several important purposes.
First, just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your car, most banks will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the bank may buy a policy for your Kia for a much higher rate and make you pay the higher premium.
Third, insurance preserves both your assets and your Kia Spectra. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially with large liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is wasting up to $820 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Cheaper rates with discounts
Some companies don’t necessarily list the entire discount list very well, so the following list contains both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a course that instructs on driving safety could cut 5% off your bill and make you a better driver.
- Club Memberships – Participating in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could earn you a nice discount when getting a Honolulu auto insurance quote.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars and trucks with anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and will save you 10% or more on Spectra insurance in Honolulu.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Insuring a vehicle that is new can save you some money because newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Good Student – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Insurance companies that may offer policyholders some of the above discounts include:
If you need lower rates, check with each company the best way to save money. A few discounts might not be available to policyholders everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Hawaii, click here to view.
What if I want to buy from local Honolulu insurance agencies?
A small number of people just prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find cheaper premium rates and still have a local agent. Supporting small agencies is important especially in Honolulu.
By using this quick form, your insurance data is immediately sent to companies in Honolulu that provide free Honolulu auto insurance quotes to get your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go to you directly. You can find better rates and work with a local agent. In the event you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, you just need to jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Two different types of car insurance agents
When searching for a local agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents are normally appointed by many insurers and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and find you the best rates. If you want to switch companies, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, you definitely need to include at least one independent agent to maximize your price options. Most can insure with smaller regional carriers which may provide better rates.
Featured below are independent insurance agents in Honolulu that can give you price quote information.
- Atlas Insurance
1132 Bishop St #1600 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 533-8728 – View Map
- Island Insurance Hawaii
1022 Bethel St – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 643-4000 – View Map
- John H Connors Insurance
500 Ala Moana Blvd # 2303 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 534-7300 – View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies work for only one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents are very knowledgeable on sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some insured continue to use the same agent primarily because of the brand name and strong financial ratings.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Honolulu willing to provide rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Dan Y.W. Au Hoy
931 University Ave Ste 108 – Honolulu, HI 96826 – (808) 944-1854 – View Map
- Larry Welsch – State Farm Insurance Agent
1575 S Beretania St Ste 203 – Honolulu, HI 96826 – (808) 944-3450 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Erick Ellgren
1806 S King St Ste 32 – Honolulu, HI 96826 – (808) 941-2886 – View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Any agent in Honolulu should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Honolulu?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
Best auto insurance in Hawaii
Picking the right auto insurance company can be challenging considering how many companies there are in Hawaii. The information shown below may help you select which providers to look at comparing rates from.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- State Farm – 90%
- Nationwide – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- Liberty Mutual – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
- Esurance – 87%
- Progressive – 87%
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Farmers Insurance
Find cheap rates by comparing often
Insureds who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, policy non-renewal, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or poor customer service. Regardless of your reason, finding a new car insurance company can be less work than you think.
Some companies may not have online price quotes and usually these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent insurance agents. Low-cost Kia Spectra insurance in Honolulu can be purchased on the web and also from your neighborhood Honolulu agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced full coverage only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
Much more information about car insurance in Hawaii can be found on the following sites:
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Car Insurance Quotes for Business Use? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 21 in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Government Employees in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)