It goes without saying that insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. People who shop around for cheaper price quotes will, in all likelihood, switch to a new company because of the good chance of finding discount prices. A recent study showed that drivers who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved as much as $70 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the most affordable car insurance in Honolulu is your objective, then knowing how to shop for coverage rates can help you be more efficient.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find low-cost Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers who provide auto insurance in Honolulu.
Step 1: Gain an understanding of how companies price auto insurance and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like your driving record and poor credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Continue reading for the details to get affordable coverage and find discounts that may have been missed.
Step 2: Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote prices from many different companies. View prices
Step 3: Compare the quotes to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
Step 4: Tell your current agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application to your new carrier. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
The most important part of this process is to try to use identical deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to get quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This guarantees the most accurate price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from many different Hawaii insurance companies. By far the easiest way to comparison shop is to perform an online rate comparison.
It’s important to know that comparing more rates from different companies helps increase your odds of locating the best rates. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online Honolulu Silverado 2500HD insurance quotes, so you should also compare price quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
The providers in the list below can provide free quotes in Honolulu, HI. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you click on several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Rate information and statistics
The rate table shown next highlights a range of prices for Chevy Silverado 2500HD models. Having a better idea how policy rates are formulated can assist in making informed decisions when shopping around for a new policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab 4WD||$144||$272||$248||$14||$74||$752||$63|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab 2WD||$144||$312||$282||$16||$84||$838||$70|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$144||$272||$248||$14||$74||$752||$63|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab Diesel 4WD||$160||$312||$248||$14||$74||$808||$67|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab Diesel 2WD||$160||$312||$282||$16||$84||$854||$71|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Extended Cab Diesel 2WD||$160||$312||$282||$16||$84||$854||$71|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$160||$312||$282||$16||$84||$854||$71|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab Diesel 4WD||$160||$312||$248||$14||$74||$808||$67|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab Diesel 2WD||$160||$354||$282||$16||$84||$896||$75|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Premium costs do not factor in Honolulu location which can decrease or increase coverage rates greatly.
Impact of citations and accidents on insurance rates
The example below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault claims can raise Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance rates for different insured age categories. The premiums are based on a single male driver, full coverage, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Why you need insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance, buying insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Silverado 2500HD, it’s most likely the lender will force you to have full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the lender may insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your Chevy and your assets. It also can pay for many types of medical costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your Silverado 2500HD are without a doubt worth the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so you should quote and compare rates at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Take these ten policy discounts and save on Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance in Honolulu
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list every discount they offer very clearly, so we took the time to find some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you could be saving more on your car insurance.
- Mature Driver Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens are able to get reduced rates.
- Multiple Cars – Drivers who insure multiple vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Distant Student Discount – Children who live away from home at college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking part in a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Telematics Discount – Drivers who elect to allow companies to scrutinize driving manner remotely such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system could save a few bucks as long as they are good drivers.
- Accident Free – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims get the best car insurance rates when compared with drivers who are more careless.
- Auto/Life Discount – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give better premium rates if you take out life insurance.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings of 20% or more.
- Government Employee Discount – Employees or retirees of the government could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
- Membership in Organizations – Having an affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations can get you a small discount when getting a Honolulu car insurance quote.
Don’t be shocked that most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
The example below illustrates the difference between Chevy Silverado 2500HD car insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The premiums are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no claims, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, marriage, safe-driver, and multi-car discounts applied.
Companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are:
- American Family has discounts for air bags, TimeAway discount, Steer into Savings, early bird, bundled insurance, and defensive driver.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, passive restraint, accident-free, multiple policy, and Drive Safe & Save.
- 21st Century includes discounts for air bags, teen driver, anti-lock brakes, good student, student driver, driver training, and early bird.
- Travelers may offer discounts for IntelliDrive, hybrid/electric vehicle, multi-car, driver training, and payment discounts.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for seat belt use, good student, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, driver training, air bags, and multi-policy.
Double check with each company how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers with significant discounts in Hawaii, click this link.
When should I get advice from an agent?
Many drivers still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find lower car insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying insurance from local insurance agents is definitely important in Honolulu.
After completing this quick form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Honolulu who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. You never need to find an agent since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. It’s the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If for some reason you want to compare rates for a specific company, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right company requires more thought than just a low price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- How long has the business existed?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
If you get good answers to all your questions and an acceptable price quote, you’ve probably found an insurance company that can be relied on to properly service your auto insurance policy. Keep in mind consumers can cancel a policy whenever you wish so don’t think you’re contractually obligated to your new company with no way to switch.
When quoting and choosing your policy for your vehicles, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. You are unique so your insurance should reflect that
For instance, these questions may help you determine if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- How high should deductibles be on a Chevy Silverado 2500HD?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Auto insurance coverage information
Knowing the specifics of your policy can be of help when determining appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Shown next are typical coverages offered by car insurance companies.
Collision coverage – Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Silverado 2500HD caused by collision with an object or car. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things such as colliding with a tree, hitting a mailbox and sustaining damage from a pot hole. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your Silverado 2500HD to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – Comprehensive insurance covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like damage from getting keyed, hitting a deer, vandalism, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from flooding. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Liability coverages – Liability insurance can cover injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have policy limits of 20/40/10 which means a $20,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) that pays claims from the same limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage pays for things such as bail bonds, pain and suffering, funeral expenses and structural damage. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but you should buy higher limits if possible. Hawaii requires drivers to carry at least 20/40/10 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The chart below shows why minimum state limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – This coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Chevy Silverado 2500HD.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Hawaii limits are 20/40/10), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Usually the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Medical expense insurance – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses such as X-ray expenses, nursing services and pain medications. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
One last thing to lower rates
When trying to cut insurance costs, never buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced full coverage and learned later that the savings was not a smart move. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
You just learned many ways to get a better price on Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance in Honolulu. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the best auto insurance rates are with a lesser-known regional company. These companies may have significantly lower premium rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Additional car insurance information is available below:
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for High Risk Drivers in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Honolulu Auto Insurance Rates for First-time Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 70 in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)