No one in their right mind rejoices having to buy auto insurance, especially when they know the prices are way too high.
Anyone knows that insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. Drivers who get price comparisons will, in all likelihood, switch companies because there is a significant possibility of finding lower prices. A study showed that people who did price comparisons regularly saved $860 a year compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding budget-friendly rates on Lexus GS 200t insurance in Honolulu is the reason you’re here, understanding how to quote prices and compare insurance can save time and make the process easier.
Because there are so many options when it comes to auto insurance, it is hard for the average consumer to choose the cheapest auto insurance provider.
Just keep in mind that getting more free quotes gives you a better chance of getting lower pricing.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in Hawaii. If the list has multiple companies, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Protect your Lexus vehicle and other assets
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Lexus GS 200t in Honolulu, buying auto insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your GS 200t has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will force you to have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Lexus at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Auto insurance preserves your Lexus and your assets. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. Today the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $869 every year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Get discounts to get affordable Honolulu auto insurance rates
Some providers don’t always publicize the complete list of policy discounts very well, so below is a list a few of the more common and also the lesser-known credits available to bring down your rates.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Select insurance carriers reward you with better rates if you take out some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Good Student Discount – Performing well in school could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Forcing all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts can save a little on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
The best auto insurance companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- 21st Century includes discounts for air bags, automatic seat belts, good student, student driver, anti-lock brakes, and 55 and older.
- State Farm offers discounts for good driver, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, accident-free, safe vehicle, multiple policy, and passive restraint.
- AAA has discounts for multi-policy, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, good driver, anti-theft, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for exclusive group savings, teen driver discount, new move discount, new graduate, multi-car, and newly married.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, good student, and homeowner.
Check with each insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in your area. To choose companies that offer multiple discounts in Honolulu, click this link.
Do I need an insurance agent?
Some consumers prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is a smart decision An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent. And supporting local agents is important particularly in Honolulu.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your coverage information is submitted to participating agents in Honolulu that provide free Honolulu auto insurance quotes for your coverage. You won’t need to find an agent on your own since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. You’ll get the best rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you want to compare rates from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and submit a quote form there.
Choose the right auto insurance agent
If you want to use a reputable agency, it helps to know the two different types of agencies from which to choose. Auto insurance policy providers may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are normally appointed by many insurers and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies depending on which coverage is best. If prices rise, they can switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part.
When comparing auto insurance rates, we recommend you get rate quotes from a few independent agents for the best price selection.
Shown below are Honolulu independent insurance agents that may be able to provide free auto insurance quotes.
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so they really need to provide good service. They receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
The following are Honolulu exclusive insurance agents that can give you price quote information.
Herb Fujikawa – State Farm Insurance Agent
3538 Waialae Ave #205 – Honolulu, HI 96816 – (808) 732-1076 – View Map
Selecting a insurance agency should depend on more than just a cheap price quote. Any agent in Honolulu should be willing to answer these questions.
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Is there a local claims center in Honolulu?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
How to find a good Hawaii car insurance company
Choosing a highly-rated auto insurance company can be difficult considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Hawaii. The company rank data shown below can help you pick which car insurance providers you want to consider shopping your coverage with.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
Car insurance 101
Understanding the coverages of car insurance aids in choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Below you’ll find typical coverage types available from car insurance companies.
Coverage for liability – Liability coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to a person or their property by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 20/40/10 which means a $20,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL that pays claims from the same limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against claims like medical expenses, legal defense fees and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Hawaii state minimum liability requirements are 20/40/10 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The next chart shows why low liability limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Lexus GS 200t.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (Hawaii limits are 20/40/10), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Comprehensive auto coverage – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as theft, rock chips in glass, falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane and hail damage. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision coverage – This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for things such as damaging your car on a curb, driving through your garage door and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your GS 200t to get cheaper collision coverage.
Medical payments and PIP coverage – Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for expenses for things like surgery, funeral costs and nursing services. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. They cover you and your occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
You can lower your insurance rates
When shopping online for insurance, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can reduce Lexus GS 200t insurance prices online in Honolulu. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Honolulu auto insurance, the better your comparison will be. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies. They can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.
Steps to finding better rates for Lexus GS 200t insurance in Honolulu
Really, the only way to find cheaper prices for car insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from providers who provide car insurance in Honolulu.
Step 1: Get an understanding of what coverages are included in your policy and the modifications you can make to keep rates down. Many things that cause high rates like speeding and poor credit history can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
Step 2: Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple sources.
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price and buy the policy, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Notify your company or agent to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for the new policy. As soon as you can, put the certificate verifying coverage with your registration paperwork.
An important part of this process is that you use the same amount of coverage on each quote request and and to get price estimates from as many companies as you can. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
More information can be read on the following sites:
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60 in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 21 in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Honolulu Car Insurance Rates for College Students? (FAQ)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)