Unimaginable but true, the vast majority of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and almost half have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. Many drivers in the United States could cut their rates by $859 a year by just shopping around, but most just don’t grasp how much they could save if they switched.
The best way to find discount car insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from different companies who sell auto insurance in Honolulu. Rate comparisons can be done by completing these steps.
First, spend a few minutes and learn about how your policy works and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that drive up the price such as tickets, at-fault accidents, and a less-than-favorable credit score can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple sources. View rates
Third, compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, notify your agent or company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application for your new policy. Immediately keep your new certificate of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
A key point to remember is to try to compare the same amount of coverage on each quote request and and to look at as many auto insurance providers as possible. This enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough price selection.
Informed Drivers Save Money
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning the rating factors that come into play when calculating your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that can earn you lower premium levels. Many things are part of the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although some other factors are less obvious like your vehicle usage and annual miles driven.
- Insurance is expensive for teen drivers – Teenage drivers in Hawaii are known to be inattentive and easily distracted when at the wheel of a vehicle and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher. Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, cause fewer claims and accidents, and are generally more financially stable.
- High comp and collision deductibles equal low rates – The deductibles you choose define how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. Protection for physical damage, aka comp and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims could be collision with another vehicle, collision with a deer, and damage caused by road hazards. The more damage repair cost you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- How’s your driving record? – Your driving record has a big impact on rates. Getting just one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Drivers who don’t get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have received multiple violations like DUI or willful reckless driving are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state’s licensing department in order to continue driving.
- Men pay more for insurance coverage – The statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. This data doesn’t prove that females are better at driving than males. Men and women have accidents at about the same rate, but the male of the species tend to have higher claims. Men also get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving. Male teenagers have the highest risk to insure so they pay the highest premiums.
- Incidental coverages you don’t use – There are many extra bells and whistles that you can buy when buying auto insurance. Things like personal injury protection, high-cost glass coverage, and motor club memberships may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but if you’ve never needed them in the past eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Liability insurance is critical – The liability coverage on your policy kicks in if ever a court rules you are at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. It provides legal defense which can cost a lot. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
Toyota Avalon Hybrid historical loss data – Companies take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle to help determine the price you pay. Models that statistically have increased claim numbers or amounts will be charged more to insure. The next table illustrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Toyota Avalon Hybrid vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles compiled together equals 100. Values that are below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Toyota Avalon Hybrid Insurance Claim Statistics Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Avalon Hybrid 120 72 132 107 85 80BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
When shopping for low cost Honolulu auto insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from many auto insurance companies in Hawaii. The recommended way to comparison shop is to use the internet to compare rates.
Just keep in mind that obtaining a wide range of quotes will improve the odds of getting the best offered rates. Some smaller insurers do not give price estimates online, so you also need to get price estimates from those companies as well.
The companies shown below can provide price comparisons in Hawaii. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to find the lowest rates.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high cost, buying insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will force you to have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Toyota at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them for it.
Third, insurance protects not only your Toyota but also your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your Toyota gets damaged, your policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially with large liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $750 every year so compare rates every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Cheaper rates by applying discounts
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise all available discounts very clearly, so the next list breaks down both the well known as well as some of the hidden credits available to you.
- Organization Discounts – Being in qualifying clubs or civic groups can get you a small discount on your bill.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can get reduced rates.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once rather than spreading payments over time you may reduce your total bill.
- Cautious Driver Discount – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can save as much as half off their rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Driver Safety – Taking part in a defensive driver course can save you 5% or more and also improve your driving technique.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts when compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more on Avalon Hybrid insurance in Honolulu.
- Use Seat Belts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the appearance that adding up those discounts means a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To find insurers that offer multiple discounts in Hawaii, click here.
Shop online but buy locally
Many people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is a smart decision A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still buy from a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the quote information is transmitted to participating agents in Honolulu who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. You can find better rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to compare prices from one company in particular, you just need to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Choosing the best company shouldn’t rely on just the price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Hawaii?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
If you want to buy car insurance from a local agent, there are a couple of different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Agencies in Honolulu are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company such as Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They usually cannot provide other company’s prices so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agencies receive extensive training on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Some people will only buy from the same agent for years partially due to the brand and solid financial strength.
Below are Honolulu exclusive agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Thomas Choi
1130 N Nimitz Hwy Rm A260 – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 664-0970 – View Map
- Herb Fujikawa – State Farm Insurance Agent
3538 Waialae Ave #205 – Honolulu, HI 96816 – (808) 732-1076 – View Map
- Cindy Perkins – State Farm Insurance Agent
1313 S Beretania St #100 – Honolulu, HI 96814 – (808) 593-8221 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents do not sell for just one brand and that gives them the ability to insure with any number of different companies and find the cheapest rate. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and the insured can keep the same agent. When searching for an agent, you will definitely want to contact independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. They often place coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which may provide better rates.
Shown below are independent insurance agencies in Honolulu who can help you get rate quotes.
- Atlas Insurance
1132 Bishop St #1600 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 533-8728 – View Map
- John H Connors Insurance
500 Ala Moana Blvd # 2303 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 534-7300 – View Map
- Anita Butay Diniega
1088 Bishop St #2210 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 841-5915 – View Map
Once you have received positive responses to these questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that meets the requirements to adequately provide car insurance.
There’s no such thing as the perfect insurance policy
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. Every insured’s situation is different so this has to be addressed.
These are some specific questions can help discover whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Should I rate my Toyota Avalon Hybrid as pleasure use or commute?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Compare rates regularly to save
Cost effective Toyota Avalon Hybrid insurance can be bought on the web and from local agencies, so get free Honolulu auto insurance quotes from both of them to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to find lower-cost Toyota Avalon Hybrid insurance in Honolulu. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Honolulu auto insurance, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with the least-expected company. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower auto insurance rates as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Additional car insurance information is available at these links:
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Female in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Teenage Females in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Honolulu Car Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Honolulu Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Edge in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)