Smart shoppers know that car insurance companies don't want their policyholders to compare prices. Insureds who shop around at least once a year will presumably buy a different policy because there is a good probability of finding a more affordable policy. A recent survey revealed that drivers who compared rates annually saved on average $865 annually compared to those who never compared other company's rates.
If finding the most affordable car insurance in Honolulu is your goal, then understanding the best ways to find and compare car insurance can save time and money.
The best way we recommend to get cheaper car insurance rates in Honolulu is to start doing a yearly price comparison from providers in Hawaii.
- It will benefit you to learn about what is in your policy and the modifications you can make to keep rates low. Many rating factors that cause high rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a bad credit score can be amended by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Read the full article for tips to get affordable coverage and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to try to use the same level of coverage on every price quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that quoting more will improve the odds of getting lower pricing.
The companies shown below can provide comparison quotes in Honolulu, HI. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Analysis of Mazda 3 rates
The premium information displayed next highlights detailed analysis of insurance premium costs for Mazda 3 models. Being able to understand how insurance rates are determined can benefit drivers when making smart choices when buying a policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$390||$344||$20||$104||$1,054||$88|
|3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$390||$344||$20||$104||$1,054||$88|
|3 I Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$458||$344||$20||$104||$1,122||$94|
|3 S Sport 4-Dr Hatchback||$222||$458||$344||$20||$104||$1,148||$96|
|3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$222||$458||$344||$20||$104||$1,148||$96|
|3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Hatchback||$222||$458||$344||$20||$104||$1,148||$96|
|3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$222||$458||$344||$20||$104||$1,148||$96|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Price information does not factor in specific Honolulu garaging location which can impact insurance rates substantially.
The information below highlights how deductible choice and can change Mazda 3 insurance rates for different ages of insureds. The data assumes a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Comparison of full coverage and liability-only policies
The example below illustrates the difference between Mazda 3 insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the Hawaii minimum liability coverage. The rates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no exact formula of when to phase out physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Mazda 3 replacement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company will settle for is $4,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying over $400 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some situations where removing full coverage is not a good plan. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not drop full coverage.
Three good reasons to insure your Mazda vehicle
Even though Honolulu 3 insurance rates can get expensive, insurance serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Mazda 3 has a lienholder, almost every bank will have a requirement that you have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender may insure your Mazda at a more expensive rate and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance protects both your Mazda 3 and your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having auto insurance outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Honolulu is wasting up to $869 every year so it's recommended you shop around at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Informed Decisions Result in Lower Insurance Premiums
Many things are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but some are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is.
- Auto insurance policy lapses increase prices - Having a gap between insurance policy dates is a quick way to pay more for auto insurance. In addition to paying higher premiums, getting caught without coverage could result in a license revocation or jail time. You could then be forced to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Hawaii motor vehicle department.
- Only buy what you need - Policies have additional extra coverages that may not really be needed if you aren't careful. Coverages like rental car reimbursement, towing, and term life insurance are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment when deciding what coverages you need, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so get rid of them and save.
- Occupation stress can affect rates - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Careers like doctors, architects, and financial analysts generally pay the highest average rates in part from stressful work requirements and lots of time spent away from family. Conversely, careers like actors, athletes and performers get better rates.
Men are more aggressive - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females take fewer risks when driving. Now that doesn't mean females are better at driving than males. Men and women are responsible for auto accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species have accidents that have higher claims. Men also get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI. Young males are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore pay the highest rates.
The information below visualizes the comparison of Mazda 3 insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The data assumes no claims or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
- Pay more if you have a long commute - Being located in less populated areas may provide you with better prices when shopping for auto insurance. Fewer people means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Residents of big cities have more traffic problems and more severe claims. Higher commute times means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Can a thief steal your car? - Selecting a car model that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you some money. Anti-theft devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM's OnStar system can thwart your car from being stolen.
Claims statistics for a Mazda 3 - Auto insurance companies analyze the history of losses when setting premium rates. Vehicles that the data shows to have increased claim numbers or amounts will cost more for coverage.
The information below illustrates the historical loss data for Mazda 3 vehicles. For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles, as an average, is considered to be 100. Values that are 100 or less represent a good loss history, while percentage values above 100 point to more frequent losses or tendency to have larger claims.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Mazda 3 Models Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Mazda 3 99 104 96 106 110 103 Mazda 3 Hatchback 91 80 96 81 73 86BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Mazda 3 insurance in Honolulu
Companies don't always list every discount they offer very well, so the list below details some of the best known as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using when you buy Honolulu car insurance online.
- Use Seat Belts - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Home Ownership Discount - Being a homeowner can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Paperless Signup - Some of the larger companies will provide an incentive shop Honolulu car insurance online.
- Resident Student - Youth drivers who attend college more than 100 miles from Honolulu and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Driver Education Discount - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll and complete driver's education if offered at their school.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn't make money that way.
The example below illustrates the comparison of Mazda 3 insurance prices with and without discounts applied. The premiums are based on a male driver, no claims or violations, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, homeowner, multi-car, claim-free, marriage, and multi-policy discounts applied.
If you would like to choose from a list of companies that offer many of these discounts in Hawaii, click this link.
When in doubt talk to an agent
When it comes to coverage online or from an agent, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different and your car insurance should unique, too. For example, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Is a driver training discount available?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else's vehicle?
- What does medical payments cover?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Local Honolulu car insurance agents
Many drivers prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. An additional benefit of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And buying from neighborhood agents is especially important in Honolulu.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Honolulu who will give competitive quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your computer because prices are sent straight to your inbox. You'll get the best rates and work with a local agent. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, don't hesitate to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from a local Honolulu insurance agency, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they operate. Auto insurance agents are considered either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent do not sell for just one brand so as a result can place your coverage through many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move your policy to a different company which is easy for the insured.
When comparison shopping, you will want to get rate quotes from a few independent agents to get the best comparison.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Honolulu who can help you get price quote information.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only write with one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are well schooled on their company's products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agencies in Honolulu who can help you get price quote information.
Suzette Rudolf Trehern - State Farm Insurance Agent
7192 Kalanianaole Hwy g210 - Honolulu, HI 96825 - (808) 395-3434 - View Map
Deciding on an car insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Any good agent in Honolulu should know the answers to these questions.
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- How long has the business existed?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
A conclusion for your auto insurance search
Low-cost Mazda 3 insurance in Honolulu can be bought both online as well as from insurance agents, so get free Honolulu car insurance quotes from both of them to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who may not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
As you prepare to switch companies, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. Too many times, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost.
For more information, feel free to browse the resources below:
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Corolla in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Edge in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)