Unthinkable but true, the vast majority of car insurance customers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. With the average premium in Hawaii being $960, drivers could cut their rates by $356 a year by just comparing quotes, but most undervalue how much they could save if they switched.
The best way to get low-cost Nissan Altima insurance is to start comparing prices regularly from companies in Honolulu.
- Try to comprehend individual coverages and the things you can change to keep rates low. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as speeding and a poor credit score can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available in Honolulu. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
A crucial key to this process is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to look at all possible companies. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Finding affordable car insurance coverage in Honolulu can be much easier if you know how to start. If you have a current car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to shop for the lowest rates using this information. Nevertheless, Hawaii consumers must know the methods companies use to charge you for coverage because rates fluctuate considerably.
Honolulu insurance discounts
Some providers don't always advertise the complete list of policy discounts very well, so here is a list both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that may be available.
- Save over 55 - Seniors may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Defensive Driver - Successfully completing a defensive driving class is a good idea and can lower rates and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- New Vehicle Savings - Buying a new car model may earn a small discount due to better safety requirements for new vehicles.
- First Accident Forgiveness - Not a discount per se, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm will let one accident slide before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven't had any claims for a specific time period.
- Payment Discounts - By making one initial payment instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Own a Home - Owning a home in Honolulu can earn you a little savings because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- Membership in Organizations - Having an affiliation with a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break when getting a Honolulu car insurance quote.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Larger companies have a discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- Good Student - Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
Just know that some credits don't apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like it's possible to get free car insurance, it's just not the way it works. But all discounts will positively reduce your policy premiums.
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Nissan Altima insurance rates with and without policy discounts. The rates are based on a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-car, and claim-free discounts applied.
Companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- 21st Century discounts include teen driver, good student, air bags, anti-lock brakes, early bird, and homeowners.
- Progressive has discounts for online quote discount, multi-policy, good student, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- State Farm may include discounts for anti-theft, accident-free, good student, multiple policy, multiple autos, and passive restraint.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include defensive driving, anti-theft, multi-policy, easy pay, and business or organization.
- Esurance has savings for multi-policy, paid-in-full, anti-theft, online quote, and safety device.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for anti-theft, driver training, bundle, defensive driver, good student, air bag, and vehicle fuel type.
If you need lower rates, check with each company which discounts you qualify for. Discounts may not be available in Honolulu. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Hawaii, follow this link.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing more prices will increase your chances of finding the best price. Not every company allows you to get online rate quotes, so you should also compare quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Hawaii. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you visit several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Nissan Altima coverage analysis
The coverage information shown next covers a range of insurance policy prices for Nissan Altima models. Understanding how insurance prices are calculated is important to be able to make decisions on which coverage to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$108||$212||$300||$18||$90||$728||$61|
|Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$108||$250||$300||$18||$90||$766||$64|
|Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$122||$250||$300||$18||$90||$780||$65|
|Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$122||$250||$338||$20||$102||$832||$69|
|Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$122||$250||$300||$18||$90||$780||$65|
|Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$122||$288||$338||$20||$102||$870||$73|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and claim-free. Rate quotes do not factor in specific location which can change premium rates significantly.
Annual premiums for males compared to females
The example below visualizes the comparison of Nissan Altima yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on a clean driving record, no claims, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied.
Do you need full coverage?
The illustration below shows the difference between Nissan Altima yearly insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The information is based on no accidents, no driving violations, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no exact formula to drop physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Nissan Altima settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying over $600 a year for physical damage coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some cases where buying only liability insurance is not in your best interest. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Seven factors that affect insurance prices
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although some other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or your financial responsibility. A large part of saving on insurance is knowing the different types of things that come into play when calculating your premiums. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you much lower annual insurance costs.
- GPS tracking and theft deterrents lower premiums - Choosing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can help lower your rates. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can thwart vehicle theft.
- Employer and insurance premiums - Careers such as lawyers, executives, and emergency personnel tend to have the highest average rates attributed to intense work situations and extremely grueling work hours. On the other hand, careers like actors, students and retirees pay the least.
- How much liability coverage do you need? - The liability section of your policy will provide protection if a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. It provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Infrequent drivers can save - The more you drive in a year's time the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of companies charge rates based on their usage. Cars that sit idle most of the time can be on a lower rate level than cars that get driven a lot. A policy that improperly rates your Altima can result in significantly higher rates. Ask your agent if your policy shows how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money.
- Save money with good credit - Your credit rating is a big factor in determining what you pay. If your credit score can use some improvement, you could pay less to insure your Nissan Altima by improving your credit score. Insureds that have excellent credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with worse credit.
- Safer cars lower premiums - Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and reduced instances of injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
- Low physical damage deductibles cost more - The deductibles state the amount of money you are required to spend if a covered claim is submitted. Protection for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, hail damage, and damage from wind. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less money you will pay for insurance.
Loss probability for a Nissan Altima - Insurance companies factor in historical loss data as a tool for profitable underwriting. Vehicles that tend to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have a higher cost to insure. The table below shows the actual insurance loss data for Nissan Altima vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles compiled together is equal to 100. Percentage numbers below 100 represent a good loss history, while numbers above 100 indicate more frequent losses or tendency to have higher losses.
Nissan Altima Insurance Claim Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Nissan Altima 110 97 119 144 147 114BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance agents can give valuable advice
Some people just prefer to have an agent's advice. One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get cheap car insurance quotes and still have a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your coverage information gets sent to companies in Honolulu who will give you quotes for your car insurance coverage. You won't need to search for any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to you directly. It's the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you have a need to compare rates for a specific company, you can always navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Finding a good insurer shouldn't rely on just the premium amount. Any agent in Honolulu should be willing to answer these questions.
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Hawaii?
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost, insurance is required for several reasons.
First, most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a loan, most banks will make it a condition of the loan that you have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender will be forced to insure your Nissan at a significantly higher premium and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It will also pay for many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays more than $850 per year so smart consumers compare quotes each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
Honolulu car insurance companies ranked
Ending up with the right insurance provider can be challenging considering how many companies there are in Hawaii. The information shown next can help you analyze which providers to look at comparing rates from.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
More comparisons equals cheaper rates
Insureds who switch companies do it for many reasons like not issuing a premium refund, poor customer service, delays in paying claims and questionable increases in premium. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding the right auto insurance provider is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
We just covered many tips how you can compare Nissan Altima insurance premium rates in Honolulu. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Honolulu car insurance, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the best premium rates are with a small mutual company.
Budget-conscious Nissan Altima insurance can be purchased from both online companies and with local Honolulu insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. A few companies may not provide price quotes online and these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Retired Military in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)