Finding more affordable Scion xB insurance in Honolulu is always a challenge for drivers new to online insurance quotes. Since there are so many insurance companies available, it can easily be a burden to compare prices in Hawaii on Scion xB insurance.
Steps to buying lower priced Scion xB insurance in Honolulu
The preferred way to find better pricing on auto insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from providers who sell auto insurance in Honolulu. Rate comparisons can be done by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Get an understanding of how your policy works and the steps you can take to prevent rate increases. Many rating criteria that are responsible for high rates like traffic violations and an unfavorable credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a better price and decide to switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the application along with any required down payment for the new coverage. As soon as you receive it, keep your new proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One piece of advice is to use the same liability limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
We don’t have to point out that fact that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Insureds who shop around for cheaper price quotes will probably move their business because they have good chances of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent insurance study discovered that drivers who regularly shopped around saved over $3,400 over four years compared to other drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the best price on auto insurance in Honolulu is your objective, then having some insight into how to shop for insurance rates can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
Quoting and buying cheaper auto insurance in Honolulu is not that difficult. Basically, every driver who shops for auto insurance will get better rates. But Hawaii consumers must comprehend how the larger insurance companies calculate your policy premium because rates are impacted by many factors.
When comparison shopping, there are several ways to compare prices from many different Hawaii insurance companies. The recommended way to find competitive Scion xB insurance rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online.
Keep in mind that having more price comparisons helps locate more affordable insurance. Not every company allows you to get online price quotes, so you need to compare quotes from the smaller companies as well.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in Hawaii. If more than one company is shown, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Auto insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but there’s a good chance there are discounts to help offset the cost. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers pay less when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Auto insurance companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- College Student Discount – Children who are attending college and leave their car at home could get you a discount.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Seniors may be able to get a slight reduction on a Honolulu car insurance quote.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Multiple Cars – Drivers who insure several vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
As a footnote on discounts, most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that’s just not realistic. Any amount of discount will bring down the premium cost.
The example below shows the difference between Scion xB insurance prices with and without policy discounts. The rates are based on a male driver, no accidents, no driving violations, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-car, marriage, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver discounts applied.
A list of companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- State Farm may include discounts for accident-free, multiple policy, Drive Safe & Save, good driver, and safe vehicle.
- American Family has discounts for mySafetyValet, good driver, good student, bundled insurance, early bird, accident-free, and air bags.
- GEICO has savings for multi-vehicle, federal employee, good student, anti-lock brakes, driver training, air bags, and seat belt use.
- 21st Century includes discounts for driver training, automatic seat belts, good student, homeowners, anti-lock brakes, air bags, and early bird.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, online quote discount, good student, and online signing.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company the best way to save money. Some discounts listed above might not be offered in your area. If you would like to choose from a list of auto insurance companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Honolulu, click this link.
Scion xB insurance rates and statistics
The information shown next covers estimates of prices for Scion xB models. Understanding how insurance policy premiums are figured can help you make smart choices when buying a car insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in vehicle location which can affect coverage prices considerably.
Gender-based car insurance rates by age
The example below shows the difference between Scion xB auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no claims or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are factored in.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The example below illustrates the difference between Scion xB insurance prices with and without full coverage. The data assumes a clean driving record, no claims, $100 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There is no set guideline to stop buying physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Scion xB book value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would get paid by your company is $6,000 after the deductible is paid. If premiums are more than $600 a year for full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Comparing quotes from local Honolulu insurance agents
A small number of people still prefer to go talk to an agent. One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Honolulu.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your business. There is no need to do any legwork as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. You’ll get the best rates AND an agent nearby. If you need to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, you can always visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Below are agents in Honolulu that may be able to provide price quotes for Scion xB insurance in Honolulu.
- Allstate Insurance: Thomas Choi
1130 N Nimitz Hwy Rm A260 – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 664-0970 – View Map
- State Farm: Darin Ono
1649 Liliha St – Honolulu, HI 96817 – (808) 834-2222 – View Map
- Cornerstones Financial and Insurance Agency
250 Ward Ave #220 – Honolulu, HI 96814 – (808) 626-5068 – View Map
- Dean Nomura – State Farm Insurance Agent
1215 Hunakai St #203 – Honolulu, HI 96816 – (808) 737-5662 – View Map
Choosing the best provider shouldn’t rely on just a low price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- How long has their agency been in business in Honolulu?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
Upon receiving good answers and low cost Scion xB insurance quotes, you have narrowed it down to an provider that is reliable enough to properly service your auto insurance policy. But remember, it’s your coverage and you can terminate coverage at any point so don’t assume that you’re stuck with any specific company for the entire policy term.
It’s not one size fits all
When selecting adequate coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions might point out whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- What happens if I owe more than my Scion xB is worth?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form.
Components of Your Scion xB Insurance Premiums
Many different elements are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable like your driving record, but others are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or your commute time. Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the things that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. If you have a feel for what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
The factors shown below are some of the things that factor into prices.
Does your employer raise your premiums? – Jobs such as lawyers, executives, and stock brokers tend to have the highest average rates in part from high stress levels and long work days. On the flip side, occupations such as professors, students and retirees receive lower rates.
Small claims can cost you – If you are a frequent claim filer, you should expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in Hawaii give better rates to insureds who only file infrequent claims. Insurance coverage is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
Obey driving laws and save – Drivers with clean records receive lower rates compared to bad drivers. Even a single citation can increase the cost of insurance twenty percent or more. People who have flagrant citations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to complete a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
The example below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents raise Scion xB auto insurance costs for each different age category. The price estimates are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
How your age affects premiums – Drivers with little experience are statistically shown to be more careless in a vehicle and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. More experienced drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
The data below is based on a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Higher deductibles are cheaper – The deductibles define the amount you are required to pay if the claim is covered. Physical damage coverage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, or theft of your vehicle. The higher the amount the insured is willing to pay, the less money you will pay for car insurance.
Policy lapses lead to higher rates – Not maintaining insurance is not a good idea and any future policy may cost more because you let your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. In addition to paying higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance may result in a revoked license or a big fine. You may then be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Hawaii motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Costs increase with policy add-ons – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that can add up if you aren’t diligent. Coverages for rental car reimbursement, accidental death, and membership fees could be just wasting money. The coverages may be enticing initially, but if you don’t need them eliminate them to save money.
More mileage equals more premium – The more you drive every year the higher your rate. A lot of companies apply a rate partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. An incorrectly rated xB can result in significantly higher rates. It’s always a good idea to double check that your car insurance policy states how each vehicle is driven.
Scion xB insurance loss statistics – Insurance companies factor in historical loss data when determining insurance prices. Models that are shown to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will cost more to insure.
The table below demonstrates the actual insurance loss data for Scion xB vehicles. For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles combined as an average is a value of 100. Numbers under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while percentage values above 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
|Specific Scion Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Auto insurance in Hawaii serves several purposes
Even though Honolulu xB insurance rates can get expensive, buying auto insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability in order to be legal. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Scion, most lenders will have a requirement that you buy insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Scion at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Scion as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average American driver overpays as much as $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Quote more to save more
We just showed you a lot of information how to get a better price on Scion xB insurance in Honolulu. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the lowest prices are with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Insureds leave their current company for any number of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, lack of trust in their agent, policy non-renewal or poor customer service. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies can be less work than you think.
Cost effective Scion xB insurance is definitely available online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and usually these smaller providers only sell through independent agents.
Steps to buying lower priced Scion xB insurance in Honolulu
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to get affordable Scion xB insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from providers that insure vehicles in Honolulu. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
First, get a basic knowledge of how auto insurance works and the changes you can make to drop your rates. Many factors that increase rates such as speeding and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Second, request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can provide price quotes for a wide range of companies.
Third, compare the new rates to your current policy premium and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
One tip to remember is to make sure you enter the same deductibles and limits on every quote request and and to get prices from every company you can. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Honolulu Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record? (FAQ)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)