To save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates is to start comparing rates regularly from companies who provide car insurance in Honolulu. You can compare prices by following these steps.
First, read about how auto insurance works and the modifications you can make to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that cause rate increases such as traffic violations and a substandard credit score can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the quotes to your current policy premium to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money and switch companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your existing policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for the new coverage. As soon as you have the new policy, store the proof of insurance paperwork above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
One piece of advice is to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to look at as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
A recent car insurance study discovered that over 70% of consumers have been with the same company for at least four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared quotes from other companies. Many consumers in the United States could cut their rates by roughly $850 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Choosing the best rates in Honolulu is not that difficult. If you currently have auto insurance, you should be able to cut your premiums using these tips. But Hawaii consumers can benefit by having an understanding of how insurance companies sell insurance online and use it to find better rates.
Honolulu auto insurance discounts
Buying auto insurance is not cheap, but there may be some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but a few need to be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates as compared to drivers with claims.
- Multiple Vehicles – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars or trucks on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could provide a small rate reduction with select insurance companies.
- Smart Student Discounts – Excelling in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up to age 25.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Active Military Service – Being on active duty in the military may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Maintaining low annual mileage could earn substantially lower auto insurance rates.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them take driver’s ed class in school.
You can save money using discounts, but most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck. Any amount of discount should help reduce the amount you pay for coverage.
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Volvo XC70 car insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The rates are based on a male driver, no claims, a clean driving record, Hawaii state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, marriage, multi-car, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy discounts applied.
To find companies who offer cheap Volvo XC70 insurance quotes in Honolulu in Hawaii, click here.
Compare free Honolulu Volvo XC70 insurance quotes
To find cheap rates, there are a couple of ways to get quotes from different Honolulu insurance companies. The recommended way to compare insurance prices involves getting comparison quotes online. When price shopping your coverage, comparing more prices increases the chance that you will find more affordable rates. Not every company does rate quotes online, so it’s important to compare prices from the smaller companies as well.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide quotes in Honolulu, HI. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to find the lowest rates.
The information displayed next covers a range of rate quotes for Volvo XC70 models. Learning as much as possible about how auto insurance prices are determined can benefit drivers when making smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|XC70 3.2 AWD Station Wagon||$318||$596||$404||$24||$120||$1,462||$122|
|XC70 T6 AWD 4-Dr||$318||$686||$404||$24||$120||$1,552||$129|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Hawaii minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in specific location information which can revise premium rates noticeably.
Difference between liability only and full coverage rates
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Volvo XC70 insurance premiums with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Hawaii. The data is based on no accidents or driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no set rule for excluding comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Volvo XC70 replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $700 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some cases where removing full coverage is not advised. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Volvo XC70 Insurance Costs Can Be Cheaper
Many factors are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but other factors are less obvious like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating. When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand the rating factors that help determine auto insurance rates. If you have a feel for what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes a few of the “ingredients” utilized by car insurance companies to help set prices.
- Does your employer cost you more? – Occupational choices like lawyers, architects, and stock brokers generally have the highest rates attributed to high stress levels and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations like farmers, historians and the unemployed have lower than average premiums.
- Marriage is a factor – Being married may cut your premiums compared to being single. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more financially stable it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Performance impacts insurance premiums – The make and model of the vehicle you need insurance for makes a huge difference in determining your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
The following chart uses these variables: single female driver age 30, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The data compares Volvo XC70 rates compared to other vehicles that have different performances.
- Only buy coverage you need – Insurance companies have many add-on coverages that can waste your money if you don’t pay attention. Coverages like vanishing deductibles, towing, and term life insurance are some examples. These coverages may sound good when buying your policy, but if they’re wasting money think about removing them and cutting costs.
- Rates can drop if you have more than one policy – Some insurance companies will award better rates to policyholders that purchase more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Save by driving less – The more miles you rack up on your Volvo every year the more you will pay for auto insurance. A lot of insurance companies charge to insure your cars based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars that do not get driven very much qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. It’s a good idea to make sure your policy properly reflects the correct usage. An improperly rated XC70 can result in significantly higher rates.
Loss statistics for a Volvo XC70 – Insurers analyze the history of losses when setting premium prices. Models that tend to have increased claim numbers or amounts will cost more for coverage.
The next table shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Volvo XC70 vehicles. For each policy coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles compiled together is represented as 100. Numbers that are below 100 indicate better than average losses, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Volvo XC70 Insurance Loss Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volvo XC70 Station Wagon 2WD 69 Volvo XC70 Station Wagon 4WD 79 70 94 45BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Independent or exclusive insurance agencies
Some people just prefer to buy from a local agent. A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this simple form, your insurance data is transmitted to insurance agents in Honolulu that can give you free Honolulu car insurance quotes for your coverage. You won’t even need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. You can find the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you need to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on a insurance company should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Honolulu should be willing to answer these questions.
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
When finding local Honolulu agents, it’s important to understand the different types of agents from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Honolulu can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies can only place business with one company like Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are trained well in insurance sales and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some consumers prefer to use the same agent primarily because of the prominence of the brand rather than low rates.
The following are Honolulu exclusive insurance agents willing to provide price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Dan Y.W. Au Hoy
931 University Ave Ste 108 – Honolulu, HI 96826 – (808) 944-1854 – View Map
- Tina Tay – State Farm Insurance Agent
3615 Harding Ave Ste 303 – Honolulu, HI 96816 – (808) 394-5433 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Rory Lee
575 Cooke St d – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 596-8333 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are not required to write business for one company and that gives them the ability to insure through many different car insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. To move your coverage to a new company, the business is moved internally which makes it simple for you.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we recommend you get insurance quotes from independent agents in order to compare the most rates. Many can place coverage with less well-known companies which may have better rates.
Below are Honolulu independent agencies willing to provide price quote information.
- Island Insurance Hawaii
1022 Bethel St – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 643-4000 – View Map
- Atlas Insurance
1132 Bishop St #1600 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 533-8728 – View Map
- Cavanah Associates, Inc.
1100 Alakea St #2600 – Honolulu, HI 96813 – (808) 537-1970 – View Map
Once you have received answers to your satisfaction to all your questions as well as offering an affordable quote, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that is reputable and can properly service your car insurance policy.
Here’s why car insurance is not optional
Despite the high insurance cost for a Volvo XC70 in Honolulu, buying car insurance is required in Hawaii but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability in order to be legal. In Hawaii these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your XC70, almost every bank will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Volvo at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you have damage to your Volvo as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having car insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying more than $800 each year so compare rate quotes at every renewal to save money.
Hawaii car insurance companies ranked
Choosing a highly-rated car insurance company can be challenging considering how many companies there are to choose from in Honolulu. The ranking information shown below may help you select which providers to look at when shopping around.
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- AAA Insurance – A
- Liberty Mutual – A
Top 10 Honolulu Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Farmers Insurance
You can find affordable coverage
Some insurance companies may not provide price quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent insurance agencies. Lower-priced Volvo XC70 insurance in Honolulu is attainable from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Honolulu, so you need to compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and learned later that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to lower your Volvo XC70 insurance prices in Honolulu. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest priced insurance comes from the smaller companies.
Additional learning opportunities
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Teenage Females in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for 19 Year Olds in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Honolulu Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Edge in Honolulu? (FAQ)
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)